Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Salt Water?

Hmmmm...when I asked my dealer for a FULL system, he said it was not available...so I ordered the HALF system.
    If I am right, the FULL system doesnīt run water into the engine at all, like cars.Just wondered how the engine cooled...or else what I believed it was a HALF system is what people call a FULL system...but now I have the Mastercraft catalogue and it does talk about FULL system.
    Is there any place in the Moomba options page that talks about this option? I didnīt see it hence my dealer was not to blame...
    What a mess
    Anyway happy with the engine and the boat

Just checked the configuration order I did...it doesnt offers a FULL system.

OK guys... here is the down and dirty...

I spoke to SkiersChoice, the recommend the Salt Water Series Engine and the did confirm that Corrosion is not coverd in the warranty. They also mentioned that the Salt Water Series has the exact same warranty and that it also is not covered for corrosion.

I also placed a call to Indmar and spoke to a junior engeneer there. He mentioned that the 08 Assault 325 engine was different than previous years since it has a Cast Iron exahust manifold rather than Aluminum. He mentioned that even though salt will damage most metals, that Cast Iron is significantly more resistant than Aluminum.

Additionally they mentioned that the shaft on 08 boats is a dripless shaft, which pretty much means that there should not be any salt water in the bilge area regularly.

Indmar recommended that if we do buy the non salt water series engine, we should replace the bolts supporting the engine to Stainless Steel, and that that should be fairly simple to do. Apart form that anti corrossion spray as much as I can and an Flushing the engine EVERYTIME i use the bout should provide acceptable durabillity on th engine.

I asked about the Salt Water Series and Indmar said the following: If you get a Salt Water Series, try to ask for the Assault 325 rather than the Assault 340 since the 325 has the Cast Iron exahust manifold . Additionally he said that I couls also consider a half Cooling System on this particular boat.

Quote Originally Posted by gadalar
    Additionally they mentioned that the shaft on 08 boats is a dripless shaft, which pretty much means that there should not be any salt water in the bilge area regularly.
    Except for the water that you will drag in after skiing, swimming, and boarding. I feel like the carpet would get nasty quickly - is there some way you could remoe the carpet and have finished fiberglass like the bow walkway has?
    Stephen
    Georgia Tech Water Ski
    http://waterski.gatech.edu
    Tournament info https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=5296

Gadalar,

What did you finally decide to do? I have considered getting a FWC engine when I order an Outback V soon because even though I live on a freshwater lake the Gulf is less than 5 miles away and I thought it would be nice to watch the Fireworks or the Airshows in Panama City (St. Andrews Bay) without having to get the Big boat out and taking it. But again my wife who helps me clean the big boat after a day in the Gulf said NO!!! And in this house the Big Boat is my boat and the Ski boat is hers. She is the the life long ski fanatic having actually gone over the ski jump in her career. And I have yet to beat her on the course.