Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salt Water?

Default Salt Water?

I see very few south florida members... Any concerns about salt water...?

Yes it "eats things"... I'm sure you are aware of this if you spend anytime around it, it is merciless on equipment. If thats your only option I would certainly do a major flushing and washing after EVERY use. If you have a choice I would run in freshwater only and leave the salt water for fishing boats that can be hosed down completely after each use, carpetless etc. just my opinion tho., there is alot of people run in it everyday, I just have to make my stuff last a loooonnnnggg time, cost too much to replace, have a super Christmas, bob

Thank you for the reply... I know it eats things, but unfortunately i have no choice... I have a searya now and it is carpetless... but its lasted me about 4 yrs... most of the problems i contribute to bad mechanics and the wash plan guys who do whose everything down. I do plan to take more personal care of my Moomba if i do decide to det it today.

After all, its going to cost me 4 times as much... But i already know what to look for in terms of taking care of it...

I live in Panama City Florida and I own an older MasterCraft and a 25ft long Proline. I have never taken the MC into salt water and never intend too, luckily we live on a fresh water lake. I use my 25ft Proline to go fishing into the Gulf and I also design equipment for saltwater use as well. Salt water is merciless!!!! Not just on the boat but also the trailer. When I return from the Gulf in my big boat I actually put it in the lake to wash it down and to rinse out the motors. I would suggest you find a used boat and not put so much money into a new one. You also MUST get one with a fresh water cooling system! And if you plan to sell it be aware that it will not have the same value as one that has never seen salt water.

Thank You... Regarding the fresh water cooling system, my dealer is not recommending it... rather he is recommending the flush kit. Supposedly, the fresh water cooling system works but with the flush kit you get to take out the salt from all parts of the engine... please help!!!

Not sure what to do...

Is the dealer trying to sell you a boat they have in stock?
    I think you want the closed cooling system in a salt-water application. Unless I've missed something, that extra measure of protection limits the effects it would have on the engine.
    Hope this helps
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

I had to walk away from the computer for a little bit after reading what your dealer told you. I guess I was in a state of shock? So it is better to let the salt water actually get inside the engine and then hopefully you can rinse out all of the salt??? A closed loop system would never allow salt in the engine and it is actually even better than what us lake water guys have since it will be using anti freeze instead of lake water!!! Take a trip down to the Marina and ask some of the guys with their big twin engine diesel sports fishing boats what they use! No way are they going to let salt water ruin their big expensive boat engines! Here is a link that helps explain why Marine Engines (salt water) use FWC systems. http://www.perfprotech.com/store/art...-benefits.aspx
    I have to agree with Buttafuco that he is trying to unload some stock! If it were me I would be pissed that he thought he could pull this over on me!

Ok... i thought the same thing, but i still have a problem...

It is the only dealer in my area. Alos, i cannot have a trailer since where i live you cannot store it. And the bout will be in a dry stack marina, so if i go to a delaer far away... im stuck in terms of warranty issues and service, no?

Im a little dissaponted. I really do want to buy a Mobius LSV, i think you cannot beat the value.

Please read my other post 'NEW TO MOOMBA... Maybe'

Should i just forget about a Moomba living in Miami? Has anyone had experience with a dealer far away? Any way that I can have the factory step in and guarantee i won't have any problems in terms of warranty and service.... i guess not right?

I live in Panama City and I am going to Atlanta to get my Moomba! I would call Skier Choice and speak about warranty issues.

will do... i will update when i talk to them...

Thank you for all the feedback... please keep it comming im very confused.