Default Transmission Fluid Filter?

Hey guys was bored today and decided to read through my transmission manual.
    It says that your supposed to check the filter on the transmission when you change the fluid. It didn't explain it that great or show much of a diagram.
    I guess what I got from the manual is that the filter is on the bottom of the trans and your supposed to take 2 bolts out then check the filter to see if there is any obstructions or if its dirty.
    It didn't say anything about changing it.
    I was just curious if I should change this when the trans fluid is changed each year or if I'm just supposed to check it out?
    I want to make sure the maintaintence is done right.
    I'm not sure if you guys with the newer boats have this as well?
    Thanks in advance,
    Aaron
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

Hey Aaron. You can't get the tranny filter out without pulling your entire engine out b/c it has to be removed through the bottom.

You just have to change the fluid. If, god forbid, you ever have to pull your entire engine, you can change the tranny filter at that time.

This is something in the manual that just doesn't jive with the reality of how the thing is installed.

Alright thanks for the reply.
    I was going to say it would be one hell of a job trying to get the filter out since it is on the bottom. I hope to never pull the engine out.
    I don't know why the stupid manual says to check it each time you change the fluid when there is no way to get to the damn thing!
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

Actually guys, you can get the transmission filter out from the bottom, or at least I can on my 2001 Outback. It is not easy to get to, but you remove two bolts and a cover plate and it drops right out. It is a cylindrical metal screen, so it is designed to be cleaned and reinstalled not replaced. The trick is getting it back up in the hole while putting the plate back on. I cleaned mine last year when I winterized my boat and when I got it out this spring, the bilge was full of transmission fluid. Apparently I didn't get the cover plate on squarely and it didn't seal properly. I hope this helps.