Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FI Upgrade

Default FI Upgrade

How much extra did it cost to get the 325 EFI motor over the carb motor in a 2006 Outback V? I'm contemplating a carbureted 2006 Outback V for $27k and a 2007 new Outback V for $35k. The 2007 has Gravity III, and the 2006 has no ballast. Of course, the 2006 doesn't have Moomba Cruise, either. $8k is a lot of money, though. The 2006 has tower speakers, and the 2007 does not. The 2006 has 40 hrs. The 2007 also would have a depth sounder, Moomba cleats, and a bimini top, which the 2006 doesn't. What do you guys think is a better deal?

Thank you.

The 325hp was about $1175 upgrade for 06. The 07 sounds like a MUCH better deal IMHO.

-J

Sled491 Guest

You sure about that cruise? I was under the impression all Moombas came with the moomba cruise, and that Perfect Pass was the upgrade. Even still the EFI and ballast and the few other features will add up to more boating pleasure. You might not think cleats are important until you have to tie up using your HS bars. Same goes for the Bimini, I think Joe is right the 07 might be the better deal in the end.

Here's a picture of the dash (and others). I don't see the EZ Cruise on the dash. My neighbor has an '06 EFI, and his has the EZ Cruise, so I'm guessing that the EZ Cruise was only for EFI models (thus standard for 2007).

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/cg...cpos=6&sspath=

I have cleats on my 2000 OB, and I would put them on that 2006 either way. I found some flush mount cleats for $25/pr. I'd have to install them, but I'll definitely have cleats. A Bimini top is $450 installed.

It's a tough decision.

Sled491 Guest

Wow, I guess I am wrong about the cruise. Looks like a nice boat, your call in the end though.

My only suggestion is make sure you get the Majors you want when you buy it... It is easier to add speakers, cleats etc than it is perf pass/cruise and additional built in ballast.
    I bought an Outback in '06, sold in 07 to buy an LSV... Main goals were auto ballast...got perf pass along with and LOVE. Helps wife out tremendously...

My Cheap $ide would say go with the 06 but practical Side would say get what fits you most. If you don't need ballast and cruise....go with the deal. After having both Carb and EFI within a year....I don't much have a preference other than having Perf Pass. My carb ran great so starting was never an issue...

Best of luck and glad you have this decision before you... both end well!
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

EFI is nice, I'm sure, but the best upgrade to water craft has been electronic ignition. I know this because me old runabout had the ole points and rotor set up. I was always having to mess with it to keep her running good. Like stated previously, really not a lot of diff between efi and carb, but the carb does have its drawbacks. And EFI seems to be the wave of the future and will help resale. My carburated '04 is going on 4 yrs old and no probs so far.
    Hope this helps
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Every heard of Pertronix Ignitors the electronic ignition kit!!! Awesome! Best thing ever did to the ole girl! About Carbs.....
    No problems if you don't mind carrying a little screw driver to adjust the mixture from time to time like I have to do with the Holly on the ole MC.

Come on Atlanta Boat show I want EFI

Cheaper to work on too; you'll know if you ever have to replace injectors or your computer goes defunkt.
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Well actually I have been driving Bosch Fuel Injected BMW's for over 20 years, never lost an injector and never lost a computer. Can't say if that holds true for the Delphi systems though. The carb (Holley) is very moody on the old MC.