Default Crack in fiberglass

I have a 2007 outback and I removed the three screws in the access panel directly behind the engine to just give everything a look over and familiarize myself with the boat and it's mechanics and I noticed that where the single aft screw goes in to hold down the access panel had cracked off the corner of the fiberglass. Has anyone seen this? I would think this shouldn't be for how much we pay for them. But I am afraid of all the _rap that I am going to have to go through to get it fixed. It clearly will not interfear with the integrity of the boat but it is just wrong.

Sled491 Guest

Do you mean the aluminun floor panel? If so they ussually have 4 screws, but that aside one of my rear screws cracked out the corner in a similar fashion. I don't think it's that big of deal. If your worried about securing the panel just predrill at a greater angle and reinstall the screw. Just my opinion of course.

Default crack

Wow I read crack in fiberglass and the images in my head were anything but a simple little cracked out corner. Ah the problem of such a brittle material next to an open edge. You haven't owned my fiberglass boats have you?

excuse my grammer errors, replace my with many
    thanks!

I noticed the same thing while winterizing my 07 Outback and was a little disappointed as well.I figured Id leave it alone untill spring when I put everthing back together. I was going to ask the dealer if there is anything in along that small edge that you need to watch out for ie hidden lines/wires possibly in in or under fibreglass. Its probably nothing more than relocating screws and at a slightly different angle but just the same its kinda cheap.

I wouldn't say it is cheap I have a MasterCraft and a 25 ft Proline and any where along an edge where there is a fastener there will be a crack some where on that edge. Fiberglass is just a brittle material and until someone comes up with a better way to attach to it you will have this problem. Some of the fasteners on the MasterCraft are rivets but they must be drilled out if you want to remove whatever is attached to it. But a sheet metal screw is forcing the diameter of the hole to enlarge as it turns in and you get this problem. Fiberglass is too thin a material to drill and tap for machine screws so that won't work. Maybe they (SC) need to check their drill jig at the factory and get the holes a little further from the edge. We can create a rule, the hole location must be at least 2 diameters from the edge. On metal the rule is one diameter from the edge.

I want to make something clear.
    1. I have an aluminum access panel on a 2007 outback located behind the engine compartment.

2. Their are only three screws holding down this panel. I appears that the fourth was unable to reach something to screw into. NO LAUGHING.

3. I understand that fiberglass cracks when you apply compression to it. BUT!!!

4. The whole corner is cracked away from the port aft screw penetration. The other two screws are towards the bow port and starboard and they are fine, somewhat of a funky angle but not cracked.

5, My opinion is that they should be piloted holes to eliminate the cracking and time should be taken to make sure that a fourty thousand dollar boat has had some attention given to it.

I will include a picture if can figure it out but honestly life is so busy but if anyone sends me an e-mail I will send photo, I know how to do that easy enough.

JD 952-454-1535
    [email protected]

Just to add, hey zegm I have owned a many fiberglass boats just never payed so much for one built without attention to detail. I was a firm beiever in you get what you pay for and now I'm not so sure.

Hi JD

I'm frankly surprised that you had this type of issue with a Moomba. I had exactly the opposite experience with my 07 Outback. The fit and finish on my boat was great. I previously owned Correct Crafts and was concerned that I wouldn't be happy with the Moomba. I actually find the Moomba to be superior in many ways.

I was so impressed with my Outback that I traded in my 07 for an 08. I would take up this issue with your dealer. If your dealer is half as good as mine it shouldn't be a problem getting the problem corrected. Like you said ......for 40 grand you should be happy.

Good luck
    2008 Outback
    325 EFI
    Gravity 1 Ballast and Multi Sport Wake Plate
    Rad-a-cage
    OJ 4 Blade 13x13 Prop
    5 Seasons pulling the Ski Team and still going strong!

Your right paying when you pay 40k you should expect more. I have been an automotive engineer for 15 years and wouldn't expect to see anything like this on a car. However! I have never been impressed with the boating industry, it still seems to be more like a ma and pop type industry. I would love to tour the Moomba plant. I have owned a MasterCraft for years but cannot see why I should pay a Fortune for one of their boats again. My family and I test drove an Outback V this summer and I WAS impressed. This company seems to provide MOST for the buck. We can't wait for the Atlanta Boat show to put a deposit down on a New Moomba Outback V.