Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vacation Home

Sled491 Guest

Hey I was born and raised in Thunder Bay Ontario. You know 10 months of winter and 2 months of bad sledding.

Oh wow, no wonder you moved!
    It all makes sense now...LOL!!

Cheers

Jay

It seems the older I get the more southernly my body wants to move! My wife has a rule if we ever move we cannot move 1 inch North of the location of the old house!
    By the way does anyone know why when I composed an email it just sits in my outbox? I cannot find the secret send button anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield
    Wayne, smokedog, and sled - Thanks guys. To update you, we have selected a lot at a private lake community in northwest Illinois called Apple Canyon Lake. Measures approxiamtely 100' X 200', has a gentle slope running north to south, and backs to a forested area on the south edge of the lot. The lot purhase will happen in November.
    Deerfield - Trying to reclaim the thread. What section of ACL are you in? Did you close? We're in the Winchester section on the NE corner of the lake. Happy to help with info, advice, when you're ready to get going.

Wayne

Wayne - Am back from the county courthouse. Made a copy of all vacant lot sales for 2007 YTD and 2006. Want to know the activity level and sale prices to make an informed bid. We would like to buy lot 178 in the Hawthorne section. It's listed for $15,500. My oldest son is home from college for the week, so I took the day off from work today to show him the lake and get the above information. My two other sons have been to ACL a couple of times now with my wife and me. I'd like to make a purchase by the middle of December. - Deerfield

Well, this was a good thread that needed to be brought back. I thought of it as I planned my winter emergency trip to the lake house. Power has been out for three days and while the water is turned off, I need RV antifreeze in the traps and toilets.

I called two other folks on the lake (but without security systems) - they are hitting the road as well. Kim is 80% sure the water is turned off

Oh, the joys of remote home ownership.

Another good thread title is Neighbor boys/kids/? If you all are iced in with Ohio

SD2

Z... you kill me!
    But when in Rome, do as the Romans do! My wife and I make the best of living in Zion country and we basically ski/board all year long.... the only difference is that in the summer, we do it in the water and in the winter we hit the slopes!
    2007 LSV - All red
    Wetsounds PRO 80's WS420 Eq
    Acme 1433

Sled491 Guest

SD, I agree 100%. Seems if you don't makes sure to check up on the second house that's when things happen. Like oh your small dock boat ends up on the bottom of the lake or a tree adds a new sky light to your living room.

We used to have a place on the Kankakee River. Every winter the ice from the river would wipe out docks and everything else in sight. One day my Dad came back from visiting one of the neighbors who couldn't find any trace of their shack that had been rebuilt the year before. He told me they were mad at God.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

GT,

Yeah I am a cold weather wuss, and when Sled sends me pictures and tells me of snowmobiling for 60 miles down frozen rivers then I re-think what I feel about it. Now maybe we should be looking for a vacation home in the snowy north.
    And I guess I should admit, I have lived in rural Indiana and Chicago when growing up so yes I have seen blizzards and snow but my poor 9 year old daughter has never seen it so we might have to take a trip to Grandpa's house in Indiana soon. Now if I could only find a snowmobile for rent????