Default Help w/gelcoat stains.

I was in a postion this summer where I had to store my boat outside for a while and didn't get to use it. Well, at some point it looks like the fuel warmed up and expanded enough that it ran back out of the filler cap. From there it ran along the rub rail and around the back of the boat while dripping down the side of the hull in various places.

The problem I have is that I didn't notice it at first and the sun caused it to stain the rub rail, stickers on the back, and hull in numerous places. I've accepted the fact that I'll have to replace the stickers and several sections of the rub rail. No big deal, I can do that myself. The part I need help with is the hull stains. It's a white boat and the stains are a dirty yellow color. I tried some de-oxider polish and a clay bar since I had them on hand at the time. It didn't help. Anyone have any ideas about anything that will work or do I need to take it to a professional?

I have had some very bad stains and rub marks on my rub rail and the only thing I found that cleans up the rub rail is lacquer thinner.I put some on a rag and wipe off the rail and it takes the stains right off.I never tried it on gelcoat,but it might work.I would try it somewhere where you can't see the gelcoat first.When I'm done with the rail I go over it with Armoral.I've been doing this for four years now and the rub rail still looks good.

have you tried starbrite hull cleaner. i have had great luck with that stuff.

just follow the directions.....

The Works bathroom cleaner works great. Just spray on and the stains drip off.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake Master
    The Works bathroom cleaner works great. Just spray on and the stains drip off.
    Just be careful with the works bathroom cleaner. If you combine it with strips of aluminum foil in a 12 ounce bottle and then seal the lid, it sounds like a 12 gauge shotgun going off!!! You did not hear that from me though.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Is that the toilet bowl cleaner or general purpose cleaner?
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

The regular bathroom cleaner not the toliet bowl cleaner. They also make a glass and surface cleaner but that will not remover the stains.

what brand tin foil is best??? hehe might wanna go fishing ...

Ahhh the Works bomb. Just be careful, they go off unexpectedly and with a ton of power.

Sincerely,

Lefty