Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default UPDATE: Carb/Fuel Issues... Boat Runs!

Hey guys I finished rebuilding my Holley 4150 and went to test it out on the river today.....
    Boat would start up and idle no problem and seemed to be running perfect.
    Well after 3 minutes or so at idle it would start running rough and bog down and then eventually die out so I started it back up again and no problem; idled fine and ran smooth.
    After it was running a few minutes I revved her up a bit in neutral and same thing; it started bogging down so I pumped the throttle a bunch and then it sounded like she was going to come out of it for a second, but then it died on me. Seems like she isn't getting enough fuel for some reason and then it dies out.
    I took the sight plugs out to see where the float levels were and they were set just right to where there was barely some fuel trickling out of them. I let the boat run and kept and eye on the sight plugs:
    The secondary level stayed the same and I could see the fuel level right at the sight plug. On the primary, the float would drop way down and I wouldn't be able to see the fuel anymore. I then shut the boat off and turned the key to run to where it would fill back up with fuel to the sight hole again. Then I started it at idle and the same thing.... Secondary level would stay the same and primary would go way down. Also the primary float is Brass and the Secondary is Nitrophyl if that makes a difference.
    Question: Is that the correct way they are supposed to work? or is there something incorrect to where maybe the primary isn't getting enough fuel and causing it to die after a few minutes?
    If this isn't the problem then I'm not sure what else to check.
    I've checked everything the Holley Tech manual said to for troubleshooting, but none of that seems to be the problem.
    Thanks in Advance,
    Aaron
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

Not the way it's post to werk. Yer primary is not keeping up with the fuel demand of the engine.
    B

A crimped supply line? Some other sort of blockage or restriction?
    ?

Alright so your saying that both float levels are supposed to be the same at all times? I'm not sure why the primary is going way down in level and not staying at the sight hole like the secondary is.
    I'll check all the lines then to make sure there isn't a kink or some sort of restriction in the fuel line. I wonder if maybe since I had alot of the fuel lines off it could have air in the lines or may be vapor locked?
    I find that kind of odd that the primary isn't/can't keep up with the demand of fuel....?
    I've also got a brand new fuel pump installed.

Also, is the fuel pump supposed to run with the key on and the motor not running? Because it is and I don't think it is suposed to. I wired it up exactly how the old one was and I know on the old one I never heard it running with just the key on. I also need to check that the pump is running while the motor is and now I'm wondering if theres an issue there or something with the wiring....
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

Hey guys I finally have some good news for once!

I replaced the oil pressure switch today (with the correct one finally) and had it wired correctly since for some reason the old switch had the purple and orange wires mixed up. The new switch came with directions that explained it all.

The fuel pump no longer runs with the key on either. (Due to more wiring issues with that)

Boat starts right up and idles fine. I ran her up to operating temp with the fake a lake and revved it a bunch and ran her a good 15 minutes.

No problem whatsoever... Ran smooth

I hope the same happens when I have her on water under a load. The soonest I'll have it out is Saturday...

So finally after a month or so of dealing with all these damn issues I think it's finally fixed.
    I'm still thinking the previous owner was messing with stuff and didn't know what he was doing and thats how the problems started......

Aaron
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

Aaron - That's great news! Let us know how it runs this weekend. - Deerfield

Yeah man, that is good news

YEAH!
    You are a patient man, or your messages don't show your frustration.!
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Nice Aaron - way to work through the problem.....enjoy Sunday on the water!

So how did the boat run this past weekend? Did it run good for you??
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In