Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CAN THIS HAPPEN TO A MOOMBA

I guess I thought the new boats had flotation foam and could fill with water and still remain afloat. Will this happen to a Moomba? Nobody was hurt here, but this two week old 07' Tige 20V went down because of hitting a rock and tearing off the first tracking fin. Only 30 minutes with two small bolt size holes.

http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?i...igesunktz9.jpg

http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?i...gesunk2yh1.jpg

http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?i...gesunk3xr2.jpg

Wonder why ye 'ol bilge pump dint kick in?

well tige does advertise their boats have thicker fiberglass and weigh more, hence one of the reason for no ballast.

that is very suprising on a newer model.

i know that there are at least 3-5 tige's on the bottom of table rock lake in missouri. they were all older models.

wow, pretty crazy! I feel sorry for that fella. Must have been heart breaking to watch her go down. I guess that is what replacement insurance is all about.......

I would think that if you put a hole in just about any boat, see Titanic, that it will fill with water and sink. Has anyone left their drain plug out? I don't know what the gpm on the bilge pump is, but I'm sure that if you overwhelm it, your going down. I did see a commercial where a guy cut a Boston Whaler 1/2 in two, as we like to say in Alabama, and both sides floated, but I don't think ski boats are made like that.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A
    I would think that if you put a hole in just about any boat, see Titanic, that it will fill with water and sink. Has anyone left their drain plug out? I don't know what the gpm on the bilge pump is, but I'm sure that if you overwhelm it, your going down. I did see a commercial where a guy cut a Boston Whaler 1/2 in two, as we like to say in Alabama, and both sides floated, but I don't think ski boats are made like that.

Dave
    I was looking at Sangers and the store also sold Four Winns. That's where I thought I remembered the salesman saying you could fill the boat to the gunnels and it wouldn't sink. It has the NMMA sticker so I guess I assumed that was part of the requirement. Possibly the NMMA sticker is about as useful as the RVIA on RV's.

Default Trouble

Hey 4Ashnbak,what lake did that boat sink at? It looks alot like Canyon Lake or possibly Bartlett out here in Az. Please fill me in as enquiry minds want to know .Its Saguaro Lake of the main channel?
    Philip S. Martell
    Surfer Dude

It was on Saguaro. Here's a link to a long thread on Tige Owners. Don't hate me... we've been looking at both brands.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5277

This is scary. Seems like the tracking fins should be attached with "shear bolts" that are designed to break on impact so that the fin breaks free but doesn't pull out the bolt and cause a hole in the hull.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Sled491 Guest

Did you guys read the Tige forum? Wow there were a bunch of guys talking about sunken Tige's. On guy said there were 3 or 4 on the bottom of his lake. Knock on wood I've been pretty regular on this board since early this year and have even gone back a year to read notes and never ran accross even one sinking of a fellow Moomba owner! By the way do you honestly think that fin came off a 3 - 4 mph?