Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: winterization

Followed the winterization procedure in the indmar manual (drained the block) last season. It gets fairly cold here and had no problems.

anyone know how you get the antifreeze in the engine? Or do you just pour it in the hoses until it runs out the back?

Make sure you warm up the boat on the hose to make sure the thermostat opens b4 running the anti-freeze thru, otherwise you will bypass some critical areas.

Pete

After draining the block I just disconnect the intake hose right before the impeller inlet. I bought some clear tubing at Home Depot about 3 feet long and connect that to the inlet with a hose clamp and put the other end in a bucket full of RV antifreeze. When I see antifreeze coming out the exhaust, I start the fogging oil and shut it down. I then drain the block again and disconnect the hose that connects the exhaust manifolds. Next I remove the impeller. Make sure you flush it out again in the spring before you put it in the lake.

thanks NH that is exactly what I was looking for. I will give it a shot. thanks again

I forgot to tell you to warm the engine up first to get the thermostat open.

Andy

got it..thanks again

I live in Southern California. Do I really need to winterize my boat? Thanks for the info
    Contrary to popular belief, a boat does not run on "Thank Yous"

If there is absolutely no chance of freezing then you won't have to winterize. Lots of people here don't winterize and keep boat in heated garage for good weather days. Most important thing is changing the fluids as if you were winterizing at about the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by NC05LSV
    If there is absolutely no chance of freezing then you won't have to winterize. Lots of people here don't winterize and keep boat in heated garage for good weather days. Most important thing is changing the fluids as if you were winterizing at about the same time.
    So If I don't plan to use the boat through the "winter" here in So Cal, I just need to change the fluids? Do you mean like a 20 hr service or like just an oil change.

Could I do all of this at the begining of next season? Thanks again for any info
    Contrary to popular belief, a boat does not run on "Thank Yous"