Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advice for Decal Replacement

Bought a used 2001 Outback LS, and one side of it had some scratches down the side. Using some rubbing compound and lots of polish/wax, I removed 90% of the scratch. However, the scratch goes right through the block MOOMBA sticker on the side (with the little swish through it).

Local dealer quoted me $60 per side for replacement stickers, with $500 labor. I think this should be easy to do myself, but have a couple of questions if anyone has done it.

First, has anyone replaced the block MOOMBA stickers with the oval? I can see how you only get one chance to put the sticker on, and with a big sticker it could be tricky. The block sticker would be easy because they are 6 different stickers, and I could take one off, put one on to keep them very straight. On the other hand, the oval looks much more updated, and would essentially make my 2001 look cosmetically like a 2003-2005.

Second, has anyone added the white oval to a boat that has the beige/sand color base gelcoat - wondering what it looks like.

Third, has anyone had problems when removing the old sticker that the gelcoat has faded so you can still see where the stickers were? The dealer warned me of this and recommended I replace the stickers with the same ones to avoid this problem. However, the boat was always stored inside and with the exception of the scratch I'm trying to replace, the gelcoat is in good shape - so I suspect this won't be a problem.

Any tips with the removal/replacement process would be appreciated. Thanks and enjoy the last few weekends on the lake.

when i had my 02 outback i replaced the mmmooooommmmmbbbbbaaaa decal with the newer oval.

ordered the decals from skier's choice since at that time i had no dealer. took the boat to a local sign shop and they did the removal of the old and install of the new for $75.00

it really made the boat look great.

I am not sure of the glue on the stickers, but I know when I got my last registration decals (die cut) they had instructions on putting some soap and water in a spray bottle and spraying down the surface prior to applying.... then squegee the water out once dry. This is how window tint is applied..
    Maybe someone can back that up with experience as I have seen messages on here by several who have replaced stickers...

I think you can use a soapy liquid and that allows you to move around a bit to get perfect and keep from having wrinkles.

BW
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Only if the sticker is not sticky on the back already. The wet may ruin the sticky stuff.
    B

Sled491 Guest

I've always used the lightly soaped water to apply all decals (we used to do all our race sleds ourselves). Sticky back or not this works best. Use a nice soft edge squegy (so as not to damage the new decal). Be paitent and a hair dry helps somwtimes if you need to work out any bubbles or to follow any round surfaces. Hope this helps

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info sled
    B

Sled491 Guest

Hey no problem

dove dish soap, not antibacterial or any other hybrid, just plain dove and water works for decal application and it has no bearing on the ability of the decal to stick. It works much like the decals for your models you put on as a kid. I buy a fluid that has some rubbing alcohol in it instead of water, that way any bubbles or fluid behind the decal will evaporate faster.

Put plenty on so you can slide the decal around on the surface with your hands. Put a tube sock over a squeegee or spatula or anything flexible and plastic and move the center out. Make sure the decal eases in to any grooves and doesnt stretch across them. That way as the decal dries and starts to age, it wont want to "bridge" across that groove.

Feel free to email or call me at my sign shop if you have any questions, Id be glad to help.
    Jim Hagen
    Madison, Wisconsin
    facebook.com/signedgewraps

2011 Moomba Mobius LSV - Exiled
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold

Dove does not make dish soap anymore. Have not for a few years.

I know - it was my boot lube of choice for 10 years.

Ivory is not creme liquid either - it is now thin and useless for this application.

If you know where to get some - I'd love to know.

-Joe

Uh oh. I have a big bottle with a handle (Sam's Club). Its been awhile since Ive had to make my own. Whenever I run out of my fluid that I buy from my sign supplier, I make some with the dove. Better use it sparingly.

The fluid I buy is called Rapid Tac and it comes by the gallon and runs about $18.
    Jim Hagen
    Madison, Wisconsin
    facebook.com/signedgewraps

2011 Moomba Mobius LSV - Exiled
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold