Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Alright so I've checked everything and took some things apart as you said to check Brian. Seems everything is as it should be and I couldn't find any build up inside the primary bowl. Secondary diaphragm is like new and not dry rotted or punctured. Acc. pump hammer and the nut are adjusted correctly as well.
    I'll have it on the water Saturday and will check to make sure the secondaries are opening. If they are then what else could be the problem? If not then I guess I need to check some other things.
    As far as the fuel filter goes..... I changed it on Moday and since then have only put around a hour on it. Is it possible that maybe it needs changed again?
    I'm hoping it's just an easy fix and something thats in front of me that I can't figure out!
    Thanks
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

Default U P D A T E

Well today I took the cap and rotor off and inspected them. There was alot of corrosion on both so I went to the parts store and bought some new ones and installed them. I wonder if this possibly had to do with part or the whole problem?
    Also I took the primary and secondary bowls off the carb. Everything inside looked fine and there wasn't any varnish or dirt etc. The floats also seemed to be working properly and at correct levels. I also took the cover off the Accelerator pump and checked the diaphragm and no holes in that and it wasn't rotted and seemed to be working properly.
    Hopefully tomorrow it will run properly and if not then I think I might have to take her in to the local marina because I'm running out of ideas what could be wrong..... Until then I'll keep posted.
    Thanks again!
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

I bet cap and rotor will help. Good luck. You seem to be pretty patient so far! Hope you get some quality riding time this weekend
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Quite possibly. Before ever diving into the hard stuff, like carb rebuilding, I tend to look for the easy stuff first. I wouldn't say the easy stuff fixes the problem all the time, but I will give it a majority of the time vote.
    B

Default Found the Problem!!

Alright guys well I finally found my damn problem. Yesterday when on the water I had my buddy check the secondaries to see if they were opening under full throttle. Well...... They WEREN'T for some reason. So I guess by checking everything on the carb. didn't really help considering I thought everything looked OK and thought they were working properly. I guess you can't tell until everything on the motor and carb. is running and working.
    So I'm assuming I need a new Secondary diaphragm since the butterflies aren't opening at all? I think along with that I'm also going to replace the Accelerator pump diaphragm as well just to be safe.
    I'm going to see if the local parts store will stock any of this and if so hoping to get it fixed sometime tomorrow and then I'll see what happens.....
    Thanks again!
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

Default More Problems!

Well I thought I had my problem fixed with replacing the secondary diaphragm on the carb.... WRONG. Under full throttle again I checked the secondaries and the butterfly was opening correctly, but then again after 15-20 seconds the boat would totally lose power, bog, hesitate and come back to an idle with the motor still running. When the boat was bogging down I would pump the throttle to try and keep the acceleration up, but it would just hesitate and then come to an idle. After it would idle a few seconds I hit the throttle wide open again and after 15-20 seconds same problem.
    It even got so bad later in the day yesterday the boat would start dying under any kind of acceleration and it was hard to get it started like it wasn't getting fuel. I would have to keep pumping the throttle to get her to start and after it started she would run a few minutes then die out. I would have to pump the throttle a bunch to get it started again and keep repeating the process, but I got lucky and just made it back to the boat launch when it wouldn't start back up at all.
    Now I'm leaning towards another fuel filter, maybe fuel pump?, or just some sort of fuel problem somewhere where the carb isn't getting enough fuel.
    Much help is appreciated once again,
    Thanks guys!
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

I don't know about your '99 OB, but me '04 has an anti-siphon valve on the gas tank that gave a bit of problem the spring of '05. That was a booger to troubleshoot.
    Of course you've check for water in the gas, and such. And you have to believe everything you done so far, although hasn't fixed the problem, has been eliminated as a source of, and gives a certain sense of satisfaction that you shouldn't have to revisit those areas for a while.
    Try the fuel pump and new filter.
    Just trying to help
    B

Hey Thanks for the reply. I was just reading about this in the Indmar repair manual I just received in the mail. Where exactly is this anti-siphon valve located at? Is it in the fuel tank itself or is it in the rubber hose that connects to the fuel tank? The repair manual didn't really specify. I'm also going to check the Carter low pressure fuel pump to make sure it is working. Although I don't have the tool to see if the P.S.I. is correct on it, but just want to make sure it has power and that I can hear it working.
    I know I've got to be getting closer to the problem now I hope!
    Anymore input would greatly be appreciated.....
    Thank You!
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

On my '04, it's the fitting that connects the fuel line at the gas tank to the pump.
    Removing the floor under the gull wing doors gives me access to it.
    B

OK so I checked the anti-siphon valve today and I poked a screw driver into it and it seems to be moving normally and it wasn't stuck closed so I think I can eliminate that.
    I also disconnected the fuel line to the primary bowl on the carb. then bumped the motor over and plenty of fuel came out. Although I can't rule out the fuel pump as the problem because I don't know what P.S.I. it is putting out during full throttle.
    I also took out the oil pressure safety switch that is located below the distributor. Does anyone know where I can get one at? I checked Discount Inboard Marine and couldn't find one there. Although I don't know if this is bad or not I am going to replace it anyway.
    It looks like this:

I also bought a new fuel filter today and installed that. Other than the fuel pump or the oil pressure switch I don't know what else to look for as I've checked everything accordingly described in the Indmar repair manual.
    Thank You!
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL