Default Tranny Fluid after break in???

Just got a mailing from Indmar that mentions changing the transmission fluid after the first 20 hours of operation on new boats. I didn't see that in the Moomba handbook, only to change oil and filter (which I did). I thought maybe I mis-read it but it definitely tells you to change the tranny fluid. Well holly crap I've got almost 50 hours on this puppy with the original tranny fluid. Will this be an issue for my transmission long term?
    Chris

Brian Raymond Guest

The break in fluid changes are very important, these initial changes discard the metallic residue from the new materials wearing together. The transmission has several single pressure plates that press on each other, the first 20 hrs. leave residue in the fluid (which long term, can lead to a shortened tranny life). Changing the fluid and having the internal filter screen cleaned will prolong the life of the tranny. I would suggest having this done on your next oil change. Hope this helps, keep us posted. Brian Raymond

Brian, could you supply me with the instructions or suggestions on how to remove/clean the trans filter screen? I have changed the fluid, but never removed the screen. Thanks.

02 LSV
    [email protected]
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Brian,
    I too would like that info if possible...I have 06 Mobius LSV

[email protected]
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Quote Originally Posted by JesseC
    Brian, could you supply me with the instructions or suggestions on how to remove/clean the trans filter screen? I have changed the fluid, but never removed the screen. Thanks.

02 LSV
    [email protected]
    Cleaning the filter screen on a 1:1transmission is not an easy task and is probably best left to your dealer. The filter is on the very bottom of the 1:1 trans and in most cases there isn't room to get at it without disconnecting the propshaft trom the trans, unbolting the transmission mounts from the stringers, loosening the pull pins on the front trunnion mounts and lifting the back of the engine/transmission with some type of hoist. When you get it all back together the engine will have to be aligned with the prop shaft. It is a pain in the behind job but I strongly recommend that it be done at the 20 hour first service. After that, I would forget thet it is there. As long as you change the trans fluid annually (Dexron III Automatic Trans Fluid) the transmission shouldn't make any more metal grindings unless there is an internal problem.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines
    "Power to the Sport"