Default Outback V vs Outback LS

Which of these has the better waterskiing wake? The smaller Outback V (but with a vdrive) or the larger LS with a direct drive?

Thank you.

Default V vs LS

The LS has got to have a smaller wake. With all that weight in the back of the V is would have to throw more wake. If you are looking to ski versus wakeboard the LS is the way to go, especially if you are running a course.

It will be easier to sell a V Drive down the road than a DD. If you can get the wake plate with the V Drive I think your better off but I am not a skier so maybe someone has a better idea.

Get a boat for the intended use or you'll be disappointed. Wake boarders use the wake while slalom skiers are cutting through the wake so a flat wake for a skier is much appreciated. If all I did was ski then I would be using a Boomarang but I do family things so I'm in an Outback and live with the not so perfect wake and that is OK for me. You can test drive both and see which wake looks best for your intended use.

WOW! "boomarang" reference !!!

You're OLD zabooda !

2000 model year:

became the kanga... right ? Closed bow, small, no wake at all. True Ski boat.

-J

Joe, sometimes I get that reality check and if I'm breathing and moving I take it as a compliment. I get dismayed at the size of the competition boats these days as they are all getting larger and making it harder for the 100% skier to find a decent boat. The market is for wakeboarders and families so the V drives and larger DDs rule. The serious skier has to hold onto the older Boomrangs and the like just to get the flat wake. I see changes like this all the time and one has to go with the flow (pardon the pun).

Default Boomerang

I agree. All the modern boats seem to dwarf my 2000 Boomerang. I just purchased it this summer and really like it so far. It seems really large compared to the 16 SS Baja outboard I have been running the past several years. I have noticed the Boomerang seems off balance by a few degrees on the straight with only me driving and running a 13-14 3 blade OJ prop. I don't remember the speed. Is this normal. Is it the prop wash causing this as I switched from a 13 13 shortly after purchase....

I hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend. Avoid the holiday laker yahoos and have a good time.

I picked up my Outback V last summer. I would be considered an advanced recreation slalom water skiier. Making it through a course with 20' off at 32mph. I am an intermediate with trick skii's. I have been very impressed with the slalomn wake of my Outback V. The trim tab is a MUST. With out it (trim tab) the boat porpiouse horribly at high speeds 28mph+. I have pulled a few wakeboarders and they have never complained about the wake. Outback V offers a very "active social" floor plan which is great if you are out crusing with friends, or just hanging out on the water. The storage is AWSOME! When I was considering this boat I was concerned with the "shallow" gunwale. My kids at the time were 3 and 5. So the possability of flipping over the side was something I worried about. It has not been an issue at all. We have always felt safe in the boat.

If I had one complaint it would be that the area in the center ballast area does not drain properly to the bilge. I constantly find my self removing water to prevent mold/mildew.

To sum it up: Outback V: Is family friendly and extremely versatile!