Default Outback LS vs. Mobius LS

What is the difference between these two boats? Are they the same boat? Is there a difference in the hull? Design? I'm looking to purchase one or the other. But I don't know what the difference is. I'm looking used, such as in a 2005, 06, or 07 model.

Thank you.

Mobius is bigger and is the wakeboard design.
    07 Mobius LS--Razorback Red

Outback LS and Mobius LS are the same boat. The Mobius comes with a tower and ballast. The Outback is a AWSA ski boat, so if you concetrate on skiing, then that is you boat. In '05 the Outback was 20'6" and the LS was 20'8" with a hull set up to produce more wake. The direct drive LS will produce a very nice ski wake, but just not as nice as the Outback. A wake plate helps shape the wake and keep the boat from porpoising at speed. The V is the old LS/LSV design. The new LS/LSV are significantly larger, you can get dimensions on the web site. They changed the LS/LSV in '06, so if you are looking, the '05 & '06 LS/LSV models are different. I have an '05 LS, and if I had to do it over again I would buy the LSV. I will never be a competive skier and the extra room would be worth the extra wake.

Outback = Outback
    Outback V = '05 Outback/Mobius LSV

Default same boat, with different "options" coming standar

from your other post, you said you were looking to ski primarily. If that is the case, you might look at the used outback/mobius ls from 2001-2005. That was a different hull that was slightly smaller and not quite as deep as the current outback ls/mobius ls. In fact, it is the same hull now used on the outback v. I was looking for one and recently bought a 2001 Outback LS. Again, that hull was in both the Outback LS and Mobius LS from 2001 through 2005. It went in the Outback V starting in 2006. You can look under "about moomba" and then "archive" on the top of this website and look up the measurements/specs for each boat each model year.

I'm not a great skier, but I think it skis really well. It is also a pretty decent family boat. There is lots of storage. Unless you carry multiple wakeboards, everything has a place and fits in it. If you carry lots of wakeboards, you'll probably have a tower and they can go up there. I think that at 19-22 mph it throws a decent wake for beginning wakeboarding and kneeboarding and at around 30 to 32 mph and 15 off the wake really settles down for slalom skiing.

Default same boat, with different "options" coming standar

from your other post, you said you were looking to ski primarily. If that is the case, you might look at the used outback/mobius ls from 2001-2005. That was a different hull that was slightly smaller and not quite as deep as the current outback ls/mobius ls. In fact, it is the same hull now used on the outback v. I was looking for one and recently bought a 2001 Outback LS. Again, that hull was in both the Outback LS and Mobius LS from 2001 through 2005. It went in the Outback V starting in 2006. You can look under "about moomba" and then "archive" on the top of this website and look up the measurements/specs for each boat each model year.

I'm not a great skier, but I think it skis really well. It is also a pretty decent family boat. There is lots of storage. Unless you carry multiple wakeboards, everything has a place and fits in it. If you carry lots of wakeboards, you'll probably have a tower and they can go up there. I think that at 19-22 mph it throws a decent wake for beginning wakeboarding and kneeboarding and at around 30 to 32 mph and 15 off the wake really settles down for slalom skiing.

Default another thing

Before I bought my boat (2001 Outback LS), I was sure that I would need to add a wakeplate to prevent this porpoising talked about all over this board. Also, just reading about a boat that would be sold new that would porpoise badly made me wonder about buying such a boat.

That was before my test drive. My boat does not porpoise, and I don't have the wakeplate. There is a metal piece bolted on the bottom of the hull near the back, but it is not adjustable and is not the wakeplate option. I think it was standard, from the factory, but as a second owner, I guess I don't know that.

Also, it might be nice to help shape the wake, I don't know, but I view it as far from a necessity on 01-05 ls hull. In fact, I'd guess it's close to a waste, but I haven't seen one with it. Like I said, without it, the wake is okay to jump at 19-22 if you're a novice wakeboarder, and without it the wakeplate settles down very nicely at around 28-30mph up.

Also, my 2001 Outback LS says "AWSA Approved" across the back. I'm sure if you were a serious course competitor the Outback would probably be a better choice - but I like the extra room and storage of the LS and think the wake is still pretty good for skiing. I would assume the new LS (2006 and up) sacrifices the flat wakes just a little more and is even nicer for a family boat as far as room and storage.

My boat does not porpoise, and I don't have the wakeplate.
    Volfo,

The porpoising issue might be more common to the V-drives than the direct drives. I think the placement of the engine more forward on the boat prevents the direct drives from porpoising. My LSV will sometimes porpoise if no one is sitting in the bow, I am going 25+ or so, and we hit some rollers. I also use the wakeplate to knock the wake down some when pulling a novice wakeboarder.

Hope that helps.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV