Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Optimizing the Outback wake for slalom

I am the proud owner of a brand new 2007 Outback which has been fastastic so far.

When researching boats, most comments suggest that the Outback's slalom wake is just about as good as any. I had a look at the picture of the 2006 Outback wake on waterskimag.com's website and it looks pretty perfect.

However, my wake seems to have a bit of a rooster tail at 15' off going at 31 mph. This is with 2 adults and 2 kids in the boat and the ballast completely empty.

What does your wake look like? Any suggestions for improving my wake? I don't have the wake plate option.

Thanks.
    2007 Moomba Outback
    99.999% Slalom, 0.001% Wakeboarding

Laz, you can try to change the positioning of the people in the boat, change the number of people in the boat, speed it up or slow it down a little. I have an '03 Outback that I put a wakeplate on and can't really remember what it was like before the plate. My ski partners and I all agree that the wake is about as good as any. A wakeplate will surely eliminate what you're describing.

I decided not to get the wakeplate as my understanding was that for the Outback, it wouldn't make much difference for slalom.

If it does make a big difference, then I would consider adding it. Can you explain how the wakeplate works.

Thanks.
    2007 Moomba Outback

When I bought my 2006, I was told that the wake plate does absolutely nothing on the Outback. For comparison, look at all of the other tournament boats -- none of them come with wakeplates. Not sure how bad your rooster tail is, but I have not noticed any sizeable wake deformities at 15 off at 28-30mph. That's where I normally ski and with driver only in the boat. Looking through the WaterskiMag reviews, they make mention of the "normal hump at 15-22 off" for almost every tournament boat -- I wonder if that is what you are experiencing.

That could be it. First, the wake is an order of magnitude better than the wake on my old I/O boat, so I don't have much to complain about.

If I get a chance, I'll try to get a picture this weekend and post it.

Also, as the driver I have noticed that with my old boat you could really feel a skier making hard cuts but with the Outback, I feel almost nothing. As the skier, I find that the very small wake and the extra power of the boat, my acceleration across the wake is much more than I'm used to. I'm gonna have to take my game up to the next level!
    2007 Moomba Outback

Sled491 Guest

What prop are you running? Before I bent my CNC 3 blade I thought the wake was almost perfect (36mph 15 off), but then I put on a stainless 4 blade and I am noticing a little rooster at slower speeds say between 20 and 30 mph where my wife and son ski. Did you get the 4 blade with your tower option?

The wakeplate just changes the way the boat is planing on the water which, in turn, changes the wake. I'll concede that for the Outback at ski speeds it doesn't have a dramatic overall effect, but I'm sure it would change the wake enough in your situation to eliminate that little rooster-tail you're referring to.

The best set up to reduce wake in yer OB is minimize any weight in the boat, i.e., remove anything not necessary to the set. Speed 32 - 34 mph. Won't totally go away, but it'll get little quick.
    Hope this helps
    B

I have an Outback and I alternate ski pulls with someone with a Prostar 190 and the wakes for both are nice for skiing but the Prostar has a smaller wake and I attibute it to the weight of the boat and the beam (width). The Outback is a larger, wider and heavier boat so it displaces more water and the wake is wider. The difference is my buddy is single and I have a family to fit into my boat. You get three people and three skis in the Prostar you are crowded and stumbling and bumbling. Considering my ski skill level, I consider the Outback adequate for my needs.

On a side note, I was looking up other boat weights and sizes and I came across an interesting picture used on the Malibu website. Can you find all of the mistakes being made in the picture. Who would be a better spotter the little girl or the dog?

http://www.malibuboats.com/default.a...elCategoryID=2

Let's see...

- Malibu pointed toward immoval, big object
    - obstructed area aft of tow pylon
    - no qualified spotter
    - dog hair
    - rope probably ready to wrap around prop
    - leaving someone behind in the water
    - summer thunderstorm clouds

But I like the color scheme: red/black/white.