Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default all better now

I went for 3 skiis and 2 wakeboards today.

At 32mph with two people on the boat, the wake was absolutely perfect. I looked just like the picture in the "virtual testdrive" on the waterskimag site. There was no roostertail at all.

I think the previous problem was at a lower speed.

Now I have to get used to how much faster I can cut.

Laz
    2007 Moomba Outback
    99.999% Slalom, 0.001% Wakeboarding

This is true with all hulls - faster lifts the hull out of the water more. With tow boats 30+ is the spot where it all happens fast. 28 vs 30 is huge change, 32 gets very nice, and at 34 most are as good as they can get.

Forget the I/O - it is not even a thought in your mind anymore - you are now behind the corret boat for improving your skiing.

Enjoy.

-Joe

I have both an 07' Outback and a 05' Malibu Sportster. I've driven many Malibus, Mastercrafts, Gekkos and Moombas for years. We put on a lot of hours each year so we buy a new or low hour boat every year. The newer Malibu and Mastercrafts has the hulls to get rid of the little rooster tail at 22' to 28' off. The 07' Outback I have has a very soft rooster tail that is much better than the 02' Outback I had. It doesn't seem to affect skiing in the slalom course much. At 22' and 28' off the wake feels the same thru the course. It's just a little different feel than the Malibu and Mastercrafts. Barefoot skiing is great behind it. Couple of my friends trick ski and they think the Moomba wake is better than the other DD boats.

My skiing has improved quite a bit this year. I now notice that if I keep on the edge, I hardly feel the wake on the Outback at 32mph. If I flatten out my ski (worse on my weak side), then I feel a little bump.

I skied behind a 19' natique last week and it has a slightly smaller wake, but it's a smaller boat with the engine and drivers seat quite a bit more forward than the Outback. Of course, a new 20' Nautique retails for $65000 Canadian.

The more I ski behind the Outback, the happier I am with it.

Laz
    2007 Moomba Outback
    99.999% Slalom, 0.001% Wakeboarding

Laz,

Glad you are enjoying the Outback.

The boat was tested and approved for tournament use, which is faster speeds than the 31mph you are skiing at.

The wakeplate will move the rooster tail around depending on speed/rope length. It is a great investment I find.

I recommend you spped up to 33 or 34 mph. It may be intimidating at first, so take it easy for the first few passes, but you will get used to it, and the wake will improve. In turn, you will have more confidence approaching the wake, and try to accelerate even harder to the next buoy.

My wife skis at 32mph, and 15'-22' off, the wakeplate all the way down seems to be the best for her, but there is a bump.

I ski at 36mph, and into 35' off. That is where the boat excels, as it was designed for tournament skiers. I ski behind Mastercraft, Malibu, and Nautiques as well, and my '06 Outback can compete with them all.

Laz,

I have a 1975 MasterCraft in great shape and have owned it for 23 years. I have guys in New MasterCrafts wanting me to pull them because we have NO wake. Of course there is nothing in the boat but hull and engine, I don't think it weights 2000lbs. But it is not all about the wake for us, I have a wife and 2 kids and they want to bring their friends and we want to friends. Well it is almost impossible in this old but nice boat. We happened to see an outback last year and an outback V this year and got a chance to sit in these boats. Well now I have the MC up for sale and cannot wait to order a new 2008 Outback V. Having fun on the lake with family and friends means more to us then the slalom wake size. I am sure we will adapt!

Im just not happy with my Outback wake... I dont know, It could be me too, Ive never been able to keep the ski on edge through the wake, always flatten out and catch mondo air . I ski slow, like 23-25-27mph, and I can hardly run a pass at the moment. Im frustrated...
    08 Outback. Private Lake Owner.

usaski - Don't give up. You've got a good boat there. For me it's been helpful to shorten the line and raise the speed. 22' off @ 34 is easier than long line @ slower speed. Seems that the shorter the line and faster the speed the flatter the wake. Pull the handle into your hips. Hopefully some of the better skiers on the forum will give you some tips. Sure would like to get a bunch of us Moomba skiers together for some fun. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

LOL! Who dug up this thread? Look at zegm's post 3 above here. He had his eye on the OBV and said he didn't care about the slalom wake. My, my, my . . .
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I think he didn't know about the LS and once he saw it realized it's the best crossover boat.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!