Thread: Carb????

Default Carb????

Ok guys I may have found a boat. Its an 06 V with the 310 Carbed engine. What are your experiences with them should I hold out for a fuel injected engine? Also can you have them converted to fuel injection and is that PRICEY??? Not sure if I am in the correct forum.

Default Carb

I'll give you my 2 cents since I just bought an 06 Outback this season, carbed engine. If I had it to do again I would have sprung for the EFI.
    It's a great boat but the carbed engines can be quirky, especially now with all the emissions BS they put on them.

My thinking was that IF I had problems the carbed engine would be cheaper to service versus the electronics in the EFI, but what I didn't consider was the extra issues that carburators have. First season with the boat and it's been back to the dealer 2x for carb related adjustments (they were great about getting done quickly and at no cost).

Save yourself the headaches and go EFI.

Chris

2004 LSV carb engine with 300 hours no problems at all.never missed a beat yet.I think you could get 100 replys and 100 different feelings on this topic.
    John

What emission stuff? It's just a roller rocker motor with not much else. I think I saw a PCV valve on mine. And with a carb at least you do have some adjustment that can be performed. Not much taboo at all there.
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other, IMO.
    Carbs are the old technology, EFI's are an improvement and why you don't see autos with carbs.
    But I wonder why the Racing World, i.e., Nascar, NHRA, etc, still use them?
    B

I wouldn't let carb vs. EFI affect your decision. I have a 99 Kanga that is carborated and have not had an issue with the carb. even once. As long as you get your scheduled maintanence there should be no worries. I did buy the boat used and it did cross my mind to go EFI but it is costly and if all doesn't go right it could end up being a complete headache.

My 02 LSV Carb with around 200 hours has NEVER let me down. Never been hard to start, never hesitated. I chose the carb version on purpose. The engine setup is simple, there is a carb and a distributor and that's all. No computer, no sensors and easy to fix. I fuigured that if I keep the boat a long time everything on this boat can be easily repaired/rebuilt. The horespower difference was not enough for me to want EFI. I will give it to EFI on fuel consumption and in some cases easier starting, but I love my carb!!!
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

The EFI may be easier to use if you're not familiar with operating carburated engines--turn the key and it starts. I have a carb engine and had to eventually adjust the idle air-bleed screws to get it to work right and stop dying at idle speed. However, since that adjustment, you can't tell the difference between mine and an EFI. It works perfectly now, but in retrospect, I would probably opt for the EFI if I did it all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by carsondoc
    The EFI may be easier to use if you're not familiar with operating carburated engines--turn the key and it starts. I have a carb engine and had to eventually adjust the idle air-bleed screws to get it to work right and stop dying at idle speed. However, since that adjustment, you can't tell the difference between mine and an EFI. It works perfectly now, but in retrospect, I would probably opt for the EFI if I did it all over again.
    Like Doc said, I adjusted mine and nair a problem since.
    Adjusted the carb (http://www.feather.us/2006/09/01/hob...-bleed-screws/)

Set the choke. Let her warm up. Enjoy the day.
    I do start mine in the driveway once a week if we have an off week.