Default Tachometer Problems

Occasionally, my 2000 Kamberra with the 330 HP MPI engine will read too high (false) on the tach at startup and will continue this for 15-30 minutes, then will read correctly. i.e., it will read 5000 RPM when we are actually turning maybe 2500. Anyone else have this and are there any suggested things to check?

Brian Raymond Guest

Default Tach

There is an arrow dial indicator on the backside of the Tach. Be sure it is set on the #3 for 8cyl. application, the #'s range from 1-6. If this is not the prob., call your dealer. Brian Raymond

It is an intermittent problem. i.e., it works fine 90% of the time. Where does the tach get its input from? Is there a connection somewhere that could be corroded or loose?

My boat is a bit older but I believe gauges are gauges....I just replaced the factory gauges with new Faria gauges.

Here is the Faria link..
    http://www.faria-instruments.com/index-new.html

Here is the link if you have Beede gauges..
    http://www.beede.com/546152.htm

Hope this helps
    88 Supra Bravura

I have a 2001 Outback with the same problem....once in a while the tach needle will jump up and stick at 1,000 or so RPM's too high. Usually gently tapping on it will cause it to drop back to where it's supposed to be. I'm on my second tach.....the first one did the same thing and my dealer swapped it out for a new one, no charge.
    I hesitate to buy a new one, but maybe a different brand is the way to go. Thanks for the links, Cryonchick.

Brian

A little different for us, but still a problem. Faria tach needle seems mechanically impeded as it winds up past 2000 rpm.

When motor is obviously winding above 3000, tapping on face of tach might move needle an extra 2 or 300 rpm, but needle won't exceed 2600 or so no matter what.

Dash got rained on a couple of times last fall. Gauge had moisture in it a couple times. Then this situation began. Cheap watch syndrome. I'll upgrade somehow if I replace it.

Default Gauges

Faria does have a 36 month warranty, or you can pay for an indefinte one after that..

http://www.faria-instruments.com/sit...s/Mar_Warr.pdf
    88 Supra Bravura