Default Strange patch in bilge area?

Hello, just got my 07 Outback about three weeks ago and love it. One option that was not on the boat that I want to install is a strainer, just don't know what is in the lake that can be sucked up. While looking at where I would be able to put the the strainer i lifted up the back floor behind the engine cover over the exhaust and prop area. What I found is rather strange. The area where the fitting for the water intake comes into the boat has a somewhat hap-hazard looking patch about 10 inches long and 8 inches wide rectangle. It does not have any gelcoat(the rest of the fiberglass in the area is black, this is dull and white) on it and it doesn't seem to be fully bonded under the whole patch. Has anyone else seen anything like this? Why might have this been added? I may try and redo it later as it is not done correctly by any means. Also the fitting from the raw water uses a brass elbow screwed on to a threaded length of pipe to get it off the boat floor, this fitting was not tight at all, actually very loose, which might be why i have had a decent amount of water in my bildge area after even a short run. Comments are appeciated, Thanks, mark

Pictures !

These sort of things have been popping up recently (from posts here on the board) on some of the 07's .

-J

Joe I will try and take some pics tomorrow. What sort of things have you been reading about? Not a huge deal, just a little discouraging on a new boat.

Also does anyone have a pic of where the strainer is on a standard Outback. I would like to place it where it would come from the factory if possible.

Thanks, Mark

when i had my outback, the strainer was under the clam shell on the port side towards the back (transom). i would guess it was about 8 inches from the raw water pickup.

in re to the patch, no clue. love to see some pics.