Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Syntec cleaning

Default Syntec cleaning

Hello everyone, I finally found the right boat. I ended up going with a 2007 Outback V

I've put about 10 hours on the boat so far. I want to keep the interior in great shape at all times. Some little black round thing about the size of the tip of a ball point pin got in the boat somehow and created a small stain on one of the syntec cushions (the endless try-and-keep-my-boat-clean saga begins).

I was reading this printout I have on syntec stain removal and it suggests using household detergent to remove stains (along with warm water). What does everyone here use to keep your interior clean? By household detergent do they mean Tide and such?

If a stain is persistent, how tough is this material? Can it take some elbow greese with a sponge? Or will it deteriate?

Thanks for any advice. So far I love the boat. I went to look at a couple Sangers on the way to purchasing this one & they had 1/2 the features and were $10k more. I found the same to be true with most other boats too.

-Robert

Try a Mr CLean Magic Eraser...
    I have had some parking lot stains end up on my seats ( tar/blacktop) and have resorted to a very small amount of bug/tar remover. I always use another cleaner like 409 to clean the bug/tar remover.. Not saying this is safe for material, just gets the stain off.. follow up with some protectant.
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Robert,

Hello and welcome first.

The Vinyl is not Syntec, it is G&T Marine grade vinyl - very high quality stuff. However the manufacturer reccomends a few things to stay away from. Most are harsh household chemicals (like 409! )
    "Fantastik" is allowed, though almost impossible to find now.

Magic eraser is very good, but can remove some of the protective layer of the vinyl.

I have had Excellent results with Knights Marine Spray nine.
    http://www.boatersworld.com/product/...?bct=t13037503
    Amazing at cleaning, but very safe.

Always wipe off anything you spray on the vinyl with water a few times then let dry and protect with 303 protectant.

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/178840021.htm

Expensive, but everyone here will attest - worth every penny! You can wax the boat with it, protect anything on the boat (not the carpet obviously), and feel secure it is doing the job.

Enjoy the toy.

-Joe

(Duplicate post removed)

Wal-Mart still carries Fantastik......at least around here
    B

Default Re: JoeTechie

JoeTechie, thanks for the advice. I'll give those products a shot. I noticed that Knights Spray Nine takes off sun-tan lotion, too. I was wondering if sun tan lotion will cause blemishing or discoloration over time.

I'll probably just wipe the vinyl down once a week or so with the knights cleaner then follow up with 303 protectant.

-Robert

Default vinyl

What ever product you decide to use on your seats I would recommend trying it out in an inconspicuous spot first in case it causes discoloration or some other issue.

Default vinyl

What ever product you decide to use on your seats I would recommend trying it out in an inconspicuous spot first in case it causes discoloration or some other issue.

Rob, I posted a question about lake stains on the exterior and Joe recommended the Spray Nine. I picked the Spray Nine Bottom Cleaner and the Vinyl Cleaner last week and used them this past weekend. It did an amazing job on both. The bottom cleaner is alot more toxic, but they did the job. Thanks Joe!

FYI - Use the basic spray nine cleaner on the bottom stains - no cuastic results and almost as powerfull - maybe a few more rubs with a damp sponge but I've never has to use the bottom cleaner and my hull gets NASTY from oil and floating jetsum.

Stay safe.

Rob - Suntan Lotion is VERY BAD for vinyl seats - sucks that we are all covered in the stuff and lounging around on them - but that is what 303 is for !

60% of the time all I do is wipe down w/ damp sponge and then rub dry w/ a clean towell. The other 40% is a quick spray of marine nine, wait 10-30 seconds, wipe, then wet sponge, and dry towel. Somewhere in the docs your dealer gave you is a G&T fold out card for care and how to clean off the nasties that are bad for vinyl. Dig around you'll find it.

-J

p.s. - Thanks go to Bob and Rob at Watersports Of Central Florida for telling me about the stuff!