Thread: Bilge Question

Default Bilge Question

I searched through 8 or 9 pages after searching for "bilge" on the site to see if I could get my question answered. I couldn't find it.

I have a 2000 Outback LS DD. My bilge comes on by itself from time to time, which seems normal. The weird thing is that when it comes on by itself, it doesn't pump water as quickly as when I switch the pump on manually. The other weird thing is that it doesn't seem to run unless the boat is moved. I've gone out to the boat after it's been sitting at the dock for a few days, and as soon as I step into the boat, the pump turns on by itself. I'm assuming it's not haunted, so I'm wondering if there's some type of mercury switch that doesn't allow it to drain the battery. I've also gone out there after a wonderful FL rain storm, and there will be 4 or 5 inches in the bilge, yet the pump didn't start itself.

Also, where is the pump (or is there more than one)? It runs like a champ, and it takes the normal inch or two of water out of the bilge in no time, but I'm just interested in knowing about it in case I have to replace it down the road.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Bilge Question

Quote Originally Posted by dtlaine
    ...... assuming it's not haunted.............
    Thanks, I needed a good laugh
    If it doesn't pump when there is plenty water to activate the float prolly means float sticky or debris causing float to hang. Stepping into the boat may be causing enough vibration or motion to jiggle said float, freeing it to do it's business. Work the test knob on the side of the bilge pump a few times. Maybe goes as far as removing the pump and inspecting for free operation
    Pump should be located mounted on the hull under the forward part of the engine. Mine is located almost under the fan belt pulleys.
    Hope a dis a heps a.

B

iIf the '99 Mobius is anything like the your 00 OB, then there is a circular access cover right in front of the pylon. REmove that cover and the bilge should be right there. You can see evne better if you remove the cover and open the motor clamshell.

I have noticed that turning on the bilge manually does seem to encourage it to run 'harder', definitely longer (well obviously until you shut it off). The action initiated by the pump will stop as soon as the float switch is satisfied, not until the bilge is empty.

Stepping into the boat will activate the swtich if you step into the front or middle of the boat, but probably not if you step into the back of the boat. This will cause the bilge water to flow toward the pump, raising the level around the float and causing it to start.

My 2 cts..
    Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Simply sounds like a weak or sticky float switch - it needs to get "bumped" to activate and it is probably not fully activating, thus the reduced flow.

Replace the pump - they are cheap as hell and are major insurance against larger problems.

-J

Thank you all very much. I will check it out and probably replace it this weekend.