Thread: Lake stains

Default Lake stains

I left the boat in the water for the week of the 4th. It has a nice brown tint to the bottom now. What are suggestions for getting the lake stain off? How about vinyl cleaner for the seats?

west marine carries several "hull cleaners" i havent used them but hear they definetly do the job, I think they spray on and rinse off. very strong stuff, wear gloves, dont breath vapors, they tell me. I imagine they are acid based, I'd probally go for a good goat of wax after the cleansing...

good a.m. Ed G that speedoon ebay went for like $200 + think I'll purchase a new pair...

"On and Off Hull Cleaner", $15from west marine. Highly caustic. If you don't have a clear coated trailer, then cover your exposed metal with plastic or a tarp. Also don't get it on your chrome and stainless pieces or any part of your interior.

I use a pesticide sprayer to spray it on from the middle toward each side, do the whole boat, follow behind with garden hose and algae and all stains are washed away.
    -Jay
    2008 Supra 21V

Hands down best stuff in the world for this.

Knights Marine spray nine !!!

Safe on everything in the boat, yet designed to clean and disinfect bildges. VERY safe product around humans, and nice to vinyl.

Thanks to Bob and Rob for turning me on to this stuff - AMAZING.

...and cheap if you get it from the right places.
    http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/SPN/SPN26932.html

I run in a tanic lake that stains every time if I do not get it off. Removes oil slick lines, sludge, etc.

-Joe

Vinegar. Period.
    Just took delivery of an Outback V June 29. After two weeks in the water, had considerable whiteish water marks. Tried what the dealer carries...Mastercraft Hull cleaner. An hour of labor and 50% still remained. On the advice of my Malibu-owning neighor, used vinegar, undiluted (vinegar is only 5-7% acetic acid anyhow). Gone! Washed off like plain old dirt. Then applied Dri Wash 'n Guard, and looks like new again. Presume it has no adverse effect on gel coat over time, but if anyone knows otherwise... Rinsed off immediately. Found a few matches on this site, but not much info on the Internet in general regarding this as a hull cleaner. Sure can't beat the cost!

joe..... you said this stuff is kosher to use on the vinyl . I got some tree pitch on my seat and am looking for something to remove it.