Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Factory Ballast Question

I am currently running in my 06 Outback V the factory Garvity one ballast and I have added a pair of Fly High Pro X V drive sacs to the rear. My question is,,is the factory center ballast enough to counter the V drive sacs which are 400# each. I have been told that when properly weighted your swim platform should not be under water. I have also been told it should be a 60/40 split. When I have all 3 bags filled my platform is close to 3" underwater. Is this ok or should I add some bags to the front or what?

When I have my 01 Outback DD weighted about 65/35, my platform is about 5 inches under water, so I wouldn't use that as a rule. How is the wake, if it is like you want it, I wouldn't worry too much. If not, some weight in the front might help. I run 2-260# (moslty full) sacs under the front seats, a 750# (mostly full ) in the rear ski locker area, and another 260# in the floor in front of the rear seat. This doesn't help you much since you have the V drive. The other thing to check is how does the boat drive, when I have mine overloaded (especially in the back), it won't steer worth crap.

When we sack up, the little Roo on the side almost drowns
    B

Not to sound too dumb, but I'm trying to figure out the same thing with my rides.... when you guys refer to the split ~60/40, are you refering to the ratio of weight in the stern to weight in the bow? Or am I way off?

-M

Yes, 60% rear, 40% front. Although... I do wonder if this ratio is for direct drives, or for v-drives? That engine weighs more than any fat sac I have seen, ya know?

My 02 LSV which is the same boat as your V has the same exact setup. My swim platform is about 5 inches under water with a full crew on the boat and the sacs completely full. I would not judge the weight factors based on whats "under water". I know that at 21.5 miles an hour I have the most beautiful wake, perfectly sloped and as hard as a curb! What more could you ask for...except maybe for a bigger wake!!!! I would only be concerned if the wake has a bad "lip" that you can not get rid of or if you have a spongy wake. If it has a bad lip, make friends with a fat kid real quick and make him ride in the bow! I try to keep all of the "heavy" items in the bow such as the anchor, cooler, large friends if the wake is excessivly rampy. Good luck.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

What if I am the fat friend?!?! I have a 2000 mobius direct drive, with inboard ballast (~500) under the sun deck, and twin 440's (90% full) on either side of the motor just infront of the seat. I'm thinking about getting a 250# sac in the bow since the twins are just aft of the motor... almost mid-ship. Does that sound about right? Or should I go bigger/smaller?

PS - just landed my first 360 last night... finally got that darn handle pass.

Tantrum.... HERE I COME!

Quote Originally Posted by BlunderDownUnder
    What if I am the fat friend?!?!
    Well if you come to ride with my crew and we ask you if you would be more comfortable up front......well....don't take it personally!!!

I just landed my first backroll on Sunday!!! I am headed for the front roll next.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

I have an '04 LSV. I've been running 2 500s in the back and the stock front (370 or so I think). That's close to a 70/30 split. Just ordered a sac to stick in the walkway (another 450 or so) to try and balance it closer to the recommended 60/40. Right now, it does take longer than it should to get on plane. Especially with 5 or more adults. And my wake plate is useless if I run with the rear bags totally full. Boat starts porpoising like crazy with any up on the plate.

The wake is big and pretty steep though. Oh and my swim platform is way underwater. When I first sac'ed it out this way, I almost took water over the stern by slowing down too quick. As others have suggested, decide if you like how the wake is and how the boat responds with your setup. If you don't, try adding some weight up front.

We ran with the 440 in the front today. Puts me at 1000 rear and around 800 front. Definitely helped even things out. I'd say my platform now sits 2-3 inches underwater. Planes out much quicker. Most importantly, the wake got a lot nicer. It bucks you up a lot harder now. Seems like it's much firmer.

My buddy insisted that it was steeper. I thought it got a bit rampier. The wakeplate is still useless though. I kind of expected it to be more usable with the added weight in the front. The water was pretty blown out, so perhaps that was part of the problem. Anyone else running with lots of weight notice problems with using the wakeplate?