Thread: Oil Pressure

Default Oil Pressure

The manual states that normal operating oil pressure should be between 20 and 80, and if it falls below this you should shut it down immediately.

I'm wondering if this is at idle or at speed?

My pressure at idle is barely registering above 0. At full speed, it barely exceeds 20. Same thing when towing, around 20.

Oil on the dip stick shows full and my boat is running great with no sign of overheating or any other problems. Are these normal readings or could I have a bad pressure sensor?

Yep, possibly a bad sensor or inaccurate guage.
    @ idle, 40 couple
    runnin' down the river 60+
    hope this helps
    B

Default Re: Oil Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Boarder
    The manual states that normal operating oil pressure should be between 20 and 80, and if it falls below this you should shut it down immediately.

I'm wondering if this is at idle or at speed?

My pressure at idle is barely registering above 0. At full speed, it barely exceeds 20. Same thing when towing, around 20.

Oil on the dip stick shows full and my boat is running great with no sign of overheating or any other problems. Are these normal readings or could I have a bad pressure sensor?
    Minimum oil pressure at idle per GM Spec is 4 psi and 20 PSI at 2000 RPM. I suspect you may have a bad oil sender. I would heve my dealer temporarily install a mechanical gauge to verify the pressure.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines
    "Power to the Sport"

Thx Nut,

I was hoping you would reply.

Have I checked everything to feel comfortable running my boat with this pressure reading? Is there anything else I need to check? I'll definitely have the dealer take a look, but it may not be immediately. I don't make it up there too often unless I have to.

I just really noticed this recently and I feel pretty confident it was reading higher before. Like I said, the boat's been running great but I just noticed the low pressure readings the last couple times out.