Default Rear Light Not being Brigt Enough

I was on the lake for Fire works and had the Fish Commission come up to me and check my boat because my rear light was not bright enough. I have an 07 outback V with the light on the pole on the back. I was not fined since I told the commision that it was a new boat and that is what came with it. Is anyone else having this trouble?

GW

Either you have the wrong size bulb in the socket which I doubt or a poor connection or bad wiring. You have resistance in your circuit where you don't want it to be causing a voltage drop elsewhere so your light only gets a portion of the 12 volts that makes the light shine brightly and keeps the law happy and be able to see around the boat better. You have to trace out the circuit to find the problem but I would make sure the light is in the socket properly, look at the connections at the light and the light switch and jiggle them a tad with the light on and see if the brillance changes. If all else fails, curtail your night driving until the shop can fix it. I wouldn't lose sleep or boating over it.

Default Re: Rear Light Not being Brigt Enough

Quote Originally Posted by gdubb
    I was on the lake for Fire works and had the Fish Commission come up to me and check my boat because my rear light was not bright enough. I have an 07 outback V with the light on the pole on the back. I was not fined since I told the commision that it was a new boat and that is what came with it. Is anyone else having this trouble?

GW
    Not one to EVER question authority...*cough*...:

Do you think the light is too dim?
    Did the officer use any sort of device (objective) to confirm the lumens coming off of your light or was this a "subjective" test?

Just make sure that you don't get up to check the brightness while you are underway. You might get a ticket like Wolf!!

Dave

On an Outback V the anchor light should be on the tower in front of the tow pylon. You shouldn't need the pole light on the back. You're not running 2 lights are you? SC should consider building the tower light into the pylon.

Having the two lights wouldn't effect the brightness if the wiring is correct. I didn't realize that the boat can have two stern lights which does not meet Coast Guard requirements. If the tower is installed then the rear stern light should be disabled or blanked.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/uscg.htm

BOATS UNDER 12 METERS (39.4')

Sailboats-Separate or combination red and green sidelights, 112.5°, visible 1 n.m. White stern light, 135°, visible 2 n.m. OR, tri-color masthead light.

Powerboats-Separate or combination red and green sidelights, 112.5°, visible 1 n.m., placed above hull at least 1 meter (3.3') below masthead light. Masthead: white, 225°, visible 2 n.m., at least 1 meter above side lights. White stern light, 135°, visible 2 n.m. OR, one all-round (360°) white light (should also have sidelights).

I was just glad that the commission did not come over to my boat! It was a long day on the lake. I ordered my boat without a tower and put a Monster tower on it for more clearence and thicker bars. I was not a huge fan of the factory tower on the outback v( I am 6'5" and there was not enough clearence) so I do not have a light on the top of it yet. but I am not real concerened because as soon as winter hits I am putting one on the top. Dont want to miss anydays on the lake now when it is 95 here in Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by gotmyboat
    Just make sure that you don't get up to check the brightness while you are underway. You might get a ticket like Wolf!!

Dave
    I, being too tired to drive to AL to fight the ticket, mailed them a money order. It is now the standing joke. (all puns intended)

I did not list myself as guilty or innocent, allowing the opportunity to go sit in court if I so desire or have the time.

*sigh*

Wolf -

Not to hijack this thread, but how is it coming with the kneeboard racks? I now have 2, an HS Revolution (for my wife and guests) and a Kaos for me and my daughters. I got it for Dad's day and proceeded to break it the first weekend (I was so proud.) It would have been my first W2W landing had I not landed too far forward and broken the tip off. I have since landed some and am working on my surface tricks. The Ole is on the horizon. I am hooked.

Dave

Now, back to your previously scheduled programming......

Quote Originally Posted by gotmyboat
    Wolf -

Not to hijack this thread, but how is it coming with the kneeboard racks? I now have 2, an HS Revolution (for my wife and guests) and a Kaos for me and my daughters. I got it for Dad's day and proceeded to break it the first weekend (I was so proud.) It would have been my first W2W landing had I not landed too far forward and broken the tip off. I have since landed some and am working on my surface tricks. The Ole is on the horizon. I am hooked.

Dave

Now, back to your previously scheduled programming......
    I'm at the lake until Saturday. I'll get you the link as soon as I get back.
    You will find you are not alone w/ the Chaos problem.
    http://www.kneeboardplanet.com/