Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vapor lock

Default vapor lock

I have a 2005 XLV that vapor locks every time I take it to Lake Powell. I'm pretty sure that it's the pump itself because it's mounted to the engine.

Has anyone had this problem and does anyone have any suggestions?

Here's what I have found out.

1- Replace fuel filter
    2- Let boat run a few minutes after a hard run to lower temp
    3- Turn blower on during and after a run
    4- Use good high grade gas
    5- Make sure there's no kinks in fuel line

I would like to install a second pump before the fuel filter to help push the gas and I was wondering if anyone knows the psi that indmar is sending out to rectify this problem on the 07's?

Thanks,
    Marty

marty,

Please read the post from Engine Nut in the link below. He is with Indmar.

Al

https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=4534
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Default psi on secondary pump?

Does anyone know what the PSI is on the pump that Indmar is sending out to rectify the problem on the 07 models?

-Marty

Default Re: psi on secondary pump?

Quote Originally Posted by martyslc
    Does anyone know what the PSI is on the pump that Indmar is sending out to rectify the problem on the 07 models?

-Marty
    The pump we are using is the HVLP pump that was used on the carbureted engines which is approx 6-8psi. The pump itself is easy but you also need to be able to tap into the existing fuel pump wiring so the second pump only runs when the high pressure pump on the engine does. We really didn't see vapor lock issues on those models. I suspect you may have some other issue with the boat's fuel system like a sticky anti siphon valve or some other restriction.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines
    "Power to the Sport"

I had my first vapor lock issue today, and luckily a Sea Ray dealer was having a little boat show where we were docked. The sales guy came over, and gave me a tip that I think helped out. He said to cycle the key on and off to try to get fuel to the pump. After a number of attempts, I could hear that the fuel pump sounded different. The boat started right up, and it ran fine. I think that the cycles helped move the fuel through the line without having to run the starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine Nut View Post
    The pump we are using is the HVLP pump that was used on the carbureted engines which is approx 6-8psi. The pump itself is easy but you also need to be able to tap into the existing fuel pump wiring so the second pump only runs when the high pressure pump on the engine does. We really didn't see vapor lock issues on those models. I suspect you may have some other issue with the boat's fuel system like a sticky anti siphon valve or some other restriction.
    i have a 2008 moomba outback and mine vapor locks atleast 8 times out of 10 i shut it off

weird. I have a 2008 Outback DD and it has never vapor locked yet.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

My 06 XLV did this last season and it was just the fuel. I had the winterblend in it from the winterization and with the Texas heat, it would vaporize at the rails. I drained it, put that gas in the truck and refilled with the summerblend. It solved the problem.
    Medic151
    06 Mobius XLV

I have an 05 xlv and I think we had a vapor lock issue today for the first time. Outside temp about 87 and we running for about 3hrs straight. We stopped at a sand bar for about a half hour then went to leave and it started then died. We opened the engine bay and cycled the key about 5 times then it started and ran fine. Is there a way to keep this from happening? Maybe open the engine bay to decrease temp?
    Go big or go home!

I have read many threads here re: vapor lock. What i do is open the hatch and run the blower after a hard run for about 1-2 minutes to cool off the engine bay . So far have not experienced vapor lock. Mind you this is my first inboard boat so vapor lock is a new concept to me.
    _________
    09 OB V