Default Had a scare - hit a log

I was out last weekend and hit a floating log at idle (didn't see it). Put the boat in neutral as soon as I heard the clunk. After that I tired to get going and had a real bad vibration. Loaded the boat, looked at the prop and driveshaft, both looked perfect, not even a scratch on the prop. I started on the trailer and put it in gear so I could see if the shaft was bent, nope. I noticed noise from the v-drive. I was thinking I needed a new v-drive unit.
    After further inspection I found all the bolts that bolt the shaft to the v-drive VERY loose. I tightened the bolts and took it for a test drive, no noise, no vibration. All seems good, going to the lake today to keep running it.

The mystery is.....how did the bolts loosen up, I had the shaft replaced last year about 100 hours on it since then. The bolts have lock nuts on them.
    All I can figure is the bolts had loosened up and the driveshaft flange had locked to the v-drive good enough to stay under normal running. Hitting the log must have jarred the shaft free from the v-drive. It is the only thing I can think of.
    My other option - trade the 04 LSV in on a 07 LSV. The wife didn't see that option as bright as I did.

At any rate I think the boat is good to go and that is a good thing as I am heading to the lake for a week!
    Bruce Fuerstenberg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy shit!...what a ride!

Little update on this,

Rainy weekend here in ND so I spent the majority of it cleaning the boat. I recalled those 4 bolts on the drive shaft had loosened up earlier this summer so I decided to check them. Long story short, they were loose again. They are locking nuts.

Back in the jet ski days we used silicone to lock nuts in place so I am trying that.
    Bruce Fuerstenberg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy shit!...what a ride!

I found mine loose while checking the shaft alignment at the beginning of the season. I called SC and they said to tighten the locknuts and make sure the two flanges are less than 0.003" apart. I was thinking it was an one time occurence but apparently not. I'll check again Friday. Thanks for posting this.

Glad to see everything worked out. I assume that you had water running to the engine while the boat was on the trailer. The raw water pump impeller fails real quick without water.

We've had record rain this month in Wisconsin. The most rain in month in Wisconsin's history. That being said, last night I noticed alot of floating logs and debris in the water, one of which I bumped. Thankfully no damage.
    Jim Hagen
    Madison, Wisconsin
    facebook.com/signedgewraps

2011 Moomba Mobius LSV - Exiled
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold