Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Had the same problem last year. There are two large nylock nuts with threads protruding right under the oil pan. I had to route the hose over them and to the other side before it reached out the drain hole.
    I let the oil drain overnight and used a large syringe at the end of the drain hose for the rest. Got about 5 quarts out.

A couple of tips that I can give for draining the oil. Go to a hardware store and just buy some plastic tubing that will slide over the threads or drain tube if you don't want the oil running on the wake plate. Unscrew the nut off of the fitting and slide the tubing on, easy. Check the routing of the drain tube prior draining the oil. I noticed that mine has a tendency to get hung up on the control arm for the rudder, causing a high spot. It also shortens the tube enough that you don't have much to get through the hull. Use a pair of vice grips and lightly clamp them around the drain tube on the outside of the hull. This will keep you from accidentally knocking the tube back in the hull and draining oil into it. It also helps if you are trying to slide an extension hose over the drain hose.

Good ideas guys.. My thought process right now is to get some air compressor hose fittings to see if they fit the threads on the hose. Then I'll craft an additional length of hose.. I'll let you know how that works.. although sliding some tubing over the threads sounds pretty simple...
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Gentlemen,concerning the draining of your oil and not getting more than 4 qts. out of the pan is not out of line.You must remember that there is roughly one qt.in your oil filter which makes 5 qts which is pretty much the standard capacity of a 5.7 litre engine. And as for using a used oil drain pump to pull out your used engine oil it will do a very good job of removing any suspended babbit material that is a normal occurence in any babbit bearing engine and as for any metal"chunks"that might be on the bottom by any slim chance would not drain out that 3/8 in line any way. If you happen to have any large debris in your crank case ie carbon deposits they will more than likely stay on the bottom of your pan and stay there until the pan is actually removed. I have used lubricant extractors for many years to remove all types of fluids during my career as a auto technician and agree with the one gentleman who spoke of a clean oilchanging procedure. I use mine all the time to change all my fluids on our 06LSV and would bet money they use them at all service centers as time is money in the repair world. Just my thoughts
    Philip S. Martell
    Surfer Dude

Curious question?
    When you use the pump to suction oil out of the dipstick, is the release of vacuum pressure coming from the open oil filler cap?

I fished mine around a bit today and got a clear piece of hose and a hose clamp and fed the hose out of the drain and down to my oil pan. Engine was a room temp (NOT HOT) and the oil dripped FOREVER! Never again will I do that cold without a pump.

Sounds like the pump is the way to go for all fluids. I am sure I will need a VDrive fluid change this winter. I'll look into the pumps.
    I set out to build a whole new hose assembly with air compressor hose but lowdrag suggested sliding hose over the threads.. worked like a charm. no need to build a new hose extension with threaded end.. too much work.

ON an aside, has anyone taken their boat to a drive through oil change place? just curious. I imagine there is at least one locally that has experience... My nearest dealer is 180 miles away, although they have a guy nearby that is contracted with and there is an Indmar service center on the water here.... I try to do as much as I can to keep from making the drive.
    BW
    Brad

2004 Outback sold

04Outback,to answer your question you do not have to open your filler cap to release any vacuum from the pan. Your engine is not sealed tight enough to be able to pull a very deep vacuum and the pump is some thing in the line of a fuel pump or the manual ones work off pressure differences ie a vacuum if you want to call it that. There are also extractors that use shop air that does use a venturi principal also to remove fluids. It all depends on how much money you want to spend on a piece of equipment so going on a Snap On truck would not be my first choice if I were you. Believe me I know how much they charge on those loan sharking oh i mean buisness vehicles. A very cheap one from harbor frieght or even from Overtons that runs off your battery will do. I hope that helps you out
    Philip S. Martell
    Surfer Dude

Thanks PSMartell
    I think I'll get the Harbor Freight model or the Overtons 12v electric.
    Brad

2004 Outback sold

This is my experience.
    First time I used an electric pump for the oil change..but pump was too slow and I had to get the battery out to connect it...pump dead before, when doing second oil change so...I bought a manual pump, run the hose into the engine oil drain pipe and took almost whole oil out..but still couldnīt took out all of it..so I used a hose clamp on the oil drain pipe because it sounded like no vacuum was being done...it worked perfect then, took all the oil out, around 4 litres...
    Planning to use the pump for transmission and V- Drive oil changes also.
    Thanks again to that person who posted the plastic bag tip for the il filter change..really great idea!!
    Sorry again for my english, not enough vocabulary so I use too many words to mean a simple concrete thing maybe