Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oil Drain Line Question

I have a 2006 LSV and am planning to change the oil tonight. I have located the oil drain hose and have routed it out the drain plug hole. Can someone please confirm that I just need to remove the cap at the end of the drain line hose to drain the oil, and that there is no additional valve at the oil pan that I need to open to drain the oil? I hope not as there is not much room at all in that area, and I can barely get my hands on the fitting.

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

just remove the cap and let it drain. try to make sure the oil is warm or it will take forever to drain.

I have an 04 LSV and I change my own oil as well.
    I jack up the left rear side of the trailer so the oil drains off the right rear corner of the wakeplate.
    Other tips.

Put a ziplock or some other kind of plastic bag around the oil filter before you take it off, keep the oil mess in the bag and not in the engine compartment.

Also loosen the oil fill cap, the oil will drain a little faster. I always let mine drain overnight.
    Bruce Fuerstenberg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy shit!...what a ride!

Thanks for the tips. I plan to park the boat in my driveway so that the nose is pointed up my sloped driveway and allow the oil to flow downhill. I will also run the boat prior to draining to ensure oil is warm/hot.

About the wakeplate, I am planning to unscrew it from the cylinders to get it out of the way of the path of the oil.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

It is really not a big deal letting the oil drain on the wakeplate. after I just use a paper towel to wipe the oil off the plate.
    Bruce Fuerstenberg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy shit!...what a ride!

cab, if you plan on doing your own service, why don't you just buy a oil changer. simply insert the hose into your dip stick and suck the oil out. no mess.

You can buy a hand pump that sucks it all out from habor frieght tools pretty cheap, I dont even mess with the line out the back

qb and chef,

It just seems to me, and maybe I'm wrong, that you get more of the oil out (and the metal filings - this is the 1st oil change) if you drain it out the bottom rather than suck it out the top. Having said that though, I only got 4 quarts out the drain hose (supposed to get 5) even after letting it drain for about two hours. I think I made two mistakes: (1) I did not run the engine long enough to get the oil warm enough and two, (2) I positioned the boat such that the bow was quite a bit higher than the stern thinking that it would allow the oil to flow out the back a little easier. This strategy proved faulty because the oil drains out of the front of the oil pan which means some oil got stuck in the back of the oil pan, or at least, that's what I concluded. I guess I should have positioned the boat level and let gravity do it's thing.

I will be getting a pump to suck the V-drive and tranny fluid out though. There's no (practical) option to drain those out the bottom that I know of.

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

AL,
    I tried today and it seemed as though I could not get the hose stretched far enough to get it out of the drain plug.. maybe I missed a routing of it and it was caught on something. From reading the above posts, I am guessing you can't get it much farther out than just enough to remove the nut...
    I have been thinking since I tried about getting about 2 more feet of hose with that type of screw on fitting... that would be nice!
    Anybody good with hose and fittings?
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I have the 07 Outback V and I could only pull about 4 qts from the dipstick. My oil drain hose goes to (not through) the rear boat drain plug. I definately agree with a 2 ft extenstion. It would be nice if the oil drain hose extended past the wakeplate. I, too, want to know how other people deal with this. Is there a fitting that can be attached to this hose that's readily available?

Thanks for the insight!

Jay
    2007 Outback V
    Moon Lake
    Monroe, LA