I know everyone here has experience with this situation, and I'm sure there is no real answer to this, but, WHAT CAN WE DO TO EDUCATE THE GENERAL BOATING PUBLIC OF WATER SPORT ETIQUETTE?? I'm just venting to feel better, but on my last outting, we were in a peaceful cove skiing some sets. When I pulled in, a Nautique just finished up a set, so we sat and chilled for few to make sure they were finished. When the water returned to glass, I had my go at it. After my run, a Mastercraft had its turn on the glass (and had the smallest, flattest wake of our three DD boats, mmmmm, the joys of a $50k tournament boat -- I'll keep my Outback, thank you).
Anyway, I geared up to take my next turn and as I was about to plop in the water, a family in some I/O flat deck boat complete with giant white bumpers bouncing off the sides came plowing in with a youngin' towing on a wake board. They made it to the other end of the cove where the boy dropped, so I started to make my pass as soon as their wake died down. No sooner after I started zigging and zagging, they cranked up again -- at one point, they pulled out in front of us. Needless to say, we were not impressed by the family's lack of etiquette. At the end, they topped it off by dropping their rider in the very narrow cove inlet blocking the only passage in or out.

I realize this is just part of boating and something that we have to deal with. The best thing to do is just relax and not let the blood pressure rise, but there should be some way of schooling the general boating public of simple watersports rules and proceedures. I'm not just talking wake boarders vs. skiiers. I'm talking about pleasure cruisers and families who don't recognize the sport aspect of the lake. Those who choose a calm cove to spin tubers around in, or who blast through glass water when there is clearly a skiier gearing up... it's nothing new, but we need to spread the word -- educate the uneducated. Maybe well gain some hardcore skiiers and fans in the process.

[climbs off soapbox]

Tim