Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 50 hr oil change?

Hey now, I'm sitting right at 50hrs on my '04 Mobius LS. Manual says to change at 50hr intervals, but also says to "change between 10-20 and again at 50". I'm assuming that means I need to do another quick change now just to be safe. After reaading the manual and a enghty search I'm still a bit hesitant. Can anyone give any helpful hints or pitfalls to watch out for? It is a DD. Manual says there is a"quick drain" hose somewhere under the motor that you route out the drain plug hole. Is it really that simple? There's gotta be more to it than that. I do not have the boat here at home so I can't really go poke around in there ahead of time to get an idea of what I'm up against. Dealer is almost 2 hours out and no way I'm taking it all the way there just for an oil change. Any input greatly appreciated at I will be tackling this project next weekend and need to get an idea of what I'm up against...Thanks!!!
    MDB

IAONBB
    First, if you only have 50 hrs on '04, then it would be good to change at 50 hrs. Prob. good idea to change every year whether you need it or not..
    I have '04 OB and the Quick Change hose is on Starboard (Drivers Seat Side) and is hooked towards the back of the engine. It is hard to miss. It has a brass fitting on the end and is hung by a stainless ring much like what you have on top of a mop/broom.... You will want your engine warm to do this as the oil drips out easier... Maybe after you have been out and it has cooled down some... If you have the drain in the center of the bilge under the motor, feed the hose through first, place a drain pan under it and then loosen the cap on the hose. After it starts dripping, you can open the oil cap on top motor... this will allow to flow better. After it has drained, you can remove your filter.... Holla if you have more questions and hope this helps.
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Thanks 04OB...guess it's just that easy, huh? We'll be out Wed and I'll pull it home after and drain it overnight. Already found the Penn 15W40 at West Marine so I'm good to go...now , why can't my 4Runner be that easy to change?!?

Another tip is to slide a zip lock baggie over the oil filter when you remove it to prevent any oil from dripping.

Great Idea on the Zip lock!! Don't forget to put a little oil on the new filter gasket and MAKE SuRE teh Old filter gasket comes off.
    Also, I believe the manual says to fill the filter about half full with oil prior to installing? Someone correct me if that is not true.

BW
    Brad

2004 Outback sold

You can put a little oil in the filter, I usually don't
    B

Great tips, thanks guys!

Just to be clear, I don't need any tools whatsoever (except the filter wrench of course)? Just an oil pan and 5qts of Pennz 15w40 marine, right? I've got to do it in the storage yard so I have to bring everyting I might need from home. Thanks again!

Bring a couple of adjustable wrenches to get the cap off the hose.

And whatever you need to get your plug out.

Recommend plenty of rags, the filter in mine was tough to get to.

Don't be too hesitant. I am by no means confortable working on engines, but even I was able to do this change in 45 min to an hour.
    -Jay
    2008 Supra 21V

I think the nut on the end of the hose is 9/16... but you may want a crescent wrench to make sure. You might can get your filter off with no tool. I use a tool that looks like an oil filter wrench, but has a rubber strap that is adjstable unlike the metal filter removers. That should be it... Take a couple of rags JUST IN CASE..
    Brad

2004 Outback sold

Default V-Drive quick drain hoe to drain plug?

Well, I saw where is the quick drain hose, but it seems too short to reach the transom drain plug. Is it a center drain plug on the Outback V that the oil drain hose can reach, or it would be useful or feasible to attach another hose to the existent one to reach the transom drain plug.

Any suggestions are welcome.