Thread: Hard to steer

Default Hard to steer

I have a 2000 Outback LS, and sometimes the steering wheel is hard to turn. When the boat is still or going slowly, it's always easy to steer. When I'm pulling someone or especially turning around to pick someone up, it is sometimes hard to steer. It's never stuck, and it's not like it takes Superman to turn it, but it's quite a bit harder to steer than normal. The resistance comes turning both ways. The weird thing is that it's not hard to steer all the time, even when going approximately the same speed as a time when it was hard to steer.

Anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Deja-Vu...........
    Using marine grease, give a light coat to the exposed ends of the steering cable, extending the cable one way, with a light coat, then the other way, same. Also you should find a zirk fitting on the rudder shaft. Give the fitting a couple shots or untill you see grease coming out the bottom. Wipe up the excess when finished.
    Everytime I grease mine, it takes a little force to pump grease into it. Must be a tight fit. I try to do that a couple times a year, mid-season and season end.
    BTW, at speed my steering gets a little stiffer from the water pressure, but I can hardly notice the difference.
    Hope this helps,
    B

As I was having me bedtime beer, I thought I should also say while you got the grease out, do the same with the throttle linkages as well, at the shift handle, and at the trans and carb. There is also a little ball socket at the rudder linkage as well. Look around, if it moves slow and has metal to metal contact, prolly needs a lil lube.
    B