Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 year girls

Sled491 Guest

Default 14 year girls

So my buddy has 06 outback, nice boat, inspired me to buy my 07. His 14 year old daughter has it out this afternoon just hanging out on the lake. Her friend is out on a borrowed jetski and was trying to show off. She tried to spray my buddies daughter wit a little side skid move. As you can guess an 80 pound 14 year old girl really doesn't have it in her to really throw a 500 lb jet ski around, so the jet ski won the battle between rider and ski.

Problem was that my buddies Outback took the brunt of it. Jet ski landed on the gunnel and took the gel coat down to the glass mesh for about 5 feet.

Looks like skiing this weekend will be off of my boat.

Ouch!!! Lucky no one was hurt. I have this sick feeling in my stomach just thinking about if that were to happen to my boat.

14 year olds should not be operating jet ski's alone, nor tow boats alone !!!

Obviously the 14 year old jet ski rider does not even know that what she did was a dangerous or deadly stunt, and that it is a huge fine in every state now, and in some results in loss of license privledges or operation privledges for a year.

Someone needs to take these really cool toys away from them for a LONG time !

I was raised around boats and have had SAFE fun for my entire life. The same treatment of cars and guns should be appllied to boats (especially PWC), yet for some they are treated like trampolines or scooters.

Hopefullly all parties involved learned something.

Feel free to brag about your new toy !

-J

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTechie
    14 year olds should not be operating jet ski's alone, nor tow boats alone !!!

Obviously the 14 year old jet ski rider does not even know that what she did was a dangerous or deadly stunt, and that it is a huge fine in every state now, and in some results in loss of license privledges or operation privledges for a year.

Someone needs to take these really cool toys away from them for a LONG time !

I was raised around boats and have had SAFE fun for my entire life. The same treatment of cars and guns should be appllied to boats (especially PWC), yet for some they are treated like trampolines or scooters.

Hopefullly all parties involved learned something.

-J

Well said.

Sled491 Guest

Problem is that in the State of Wisconsin, a 12 year old boy or girl can go and take the DNR's operators course, pass the test and off they go. It's much more restrictive for cars and a bit more restrictive for guns and hunting, but like you said they make it way to easy. Like I've said before, it seems that any one who can afford a boat and goes and buys one can be out driving around right away with little or no training, and little or no idea about what they are doing.

I have family members who fill this bill as well, and I just don't understand it

12 year olds can also take a boating course in Minnesota - through the mail - and then pass the test - through the mail. My son and daughter both did this. Does this mean I let them operate a boat by themselves? NO!!!! I still won't let my 15 year old son take the boat by himself ESPECIALLY if his friends are around - I'm not crazy. 17 year old daughter no problem. Every kid is different but when thier friends are around things can get out of hand fast.

Well put nimrod. Having certification does not mean they are "ready" or responsible enough.

-J

p.s. PLEASE reduce the size of your avitar PIC.

i have been riding waverunners since i was 15 and have never had a problem or a formal instruction course. (private lake) a parent needs to decide when a kid is ready to control a dangerous motor vehicle. some kids do not deserve to be on the road at 16,17 but they are legally allowed to. each kid is different, just like nimrod said.

Yea, when my some passes the test at 12, he will get the boat keys and a lot of instruction. stupid knows no age limit.

Along these same lines I think when it comes to PWC's there is an amount of responsibility that must be taken by all. I have had one since the days of 30 mph to today in the 70's. I have seen more wrecks by adults that kids on my lake. Just because you spent $10,000 on the PWC does not give the owner the knowledge to ride. I love PWC but they scare me.