Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Depth finder

Come to think of it, we had been thinking of adding a set of lure launchers at the stern.

I did about the same thing as Catdog on my 03 Mobius LS. Pulled the Hummingbird out of my old boat and put it in this one. I used a little easier method for install. Instead of epoxy I just used some silicone sealant caulking on the transducer and I mounted mine just under the front of the motor. Works fine. Used adhesive velcro strips to mount the display on the armrest just in front of the throttle. I didn't want anything that I wasn't able to change later and didn't want to drill any holes in my new boat.

For anyone wanting a depth gauge seriously consider a fish finder instead, if you can put up with the fishing boat looks of the display that is. Check the prices for one thing. You can get some pretty good ones any more for cheaper than a depth gauge. Plus it's nice to be able to actually see what's going on on the lake bottom. You get a lot better feel for what's actually going on instead of just a number that lets you know when it's too late. I can say it saved me some serious damage this year. I ran across a point in the lake that wasn't very apparent from looking at the shore line and wasn't marked. I saw the bottom coming up in a hurry and just had time to put it in nuetral and kill the motor before impact. Luckily I was just idling along. I ended up with just a prop that needed some refinishing instead of what could have been a lot worse.

Especially useful on lowland, flood control lakes, like Kerr Reservoir in southern Virginia where we hang out. Shoreline isn't a valid predictor of bottom profile. Also, lots of timber movement in spring and a level that can shift off the mean by +/- 8 feet.

I see underwater hills; also hear a beep to caution me when depth change is rapid. Can also scan a cove for submerged timber before putting a skier in the water.

Am intrigued by the F22, though. A flat black paint job and about 6 dozen outboard-seeking missles... and I could take over my ramp.

As in my previous post I was after that trim piece located on the 2003's next to the throttle. Well it cost $85!!! That is way too much for a piece of plastic. So I looked at Jegs and their o found several different varieties of pods. I think I will end up mounting it in a pod on the windshield, either with glue to the glass or mechanical fasteners to the aluminum frame.
    You don't know unless you try