Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wetsuit ruined vinyl

Left my wetsuit laying on the back seat to dry out a few days ago, put the cover on, dropped it off at storage and headed home. Returned a few days later to find the suit literally heat-welded to the back seat. Came off like a giant piece lof tape, complete with the awful removal sound. Left NASTY yellow stains all over the rear seat. It is an O'neil reversible with neoprene on one side and a shark skin finish on the other. The sharksin side was unfortunaltey out. (in the past I've usually layed it out on the neoprene side. Long story short, I've tried EVERYTHING to try and get it out w/ no success. The vinyl literally has a textured/raised spot where the stains are. It's hard to explain but it's almost like the suit and vinyl molded together and when torn apart, left a raised and stained area. I'm beside myself at this point and just hoping someone might have a miracle save for me. Otherwise, it;s off to buy another rear seat which I'm sure won't be cheap. Amazing how everytime we go out I seem to learn another lesson the hard way. Like they say...B.O.A.T. (Break Out Another Thousand)
    Any help?!?!

It cost me $50 each time I recovered a portion of the rear seat. It happened twice, one was suntan lotion that stained it and the second time I had something laid on the vinyl that put small holes in it.

Hey Zabooda...did t he dealer do it or did you just take it to a local upholstery shop? Did the color match? $50 seems pretty cheap to recover the entire back seat? Maybe I"ll get off lucky this time! Thanks...

The local upholstery shop did the work and it matched perfectly but it is a simple white vinyl. I've had whole seat cushions redone but if the bad spot is only on one panel then they undo the stitching, use the old piece as a template and sew the new piece in. It does take some time to get the fabric and do the work so you need to remove the cushion and take it in to match fabric and then take it back when they're ready. It works best outside of boating season when there isn't a rush to get the cushion back but then you have to live with the stain all summer long.

It's the entire seat unfortunately. What did it cost you ball park for the whole thing?

stupid, stupid, stupid mistake (I need that emoticon with the guy hiting himself in the head with a hammer to insert here)

sigh

I never had a complete seat redone but you should check with your dealer for who they would recommend to do the job or call around. I've had more visits to the upholsterer than anyone else who has worked on my boat. Stuff happens and most of the time the stains and rips are out of your control. I wouldn't have expected a wetsuit to do what it did. I do know suntan lotion can stain the fabric but I'm not sure which brands they are. I know hardware on swim clothes can damaged both the fabric and scratch the jellcoat.

Set it in the sun. Majic eraser is reportedly very good

Work on it when ever. The sun over time may open the pours and smooth it out - worth a shot

I leave the vests standing on the floor to dry after I've vacuumed out the water in the carpeting.

Had one of the body gloves fall from the motor cover to the side and had the same thing happen. It left pieces of the labeling "welded" to the vinyl. Magic eraser seperated most of it without leaving a stain behind. I say most of it, as there is one small spot that if the light is right you can still see s discoloration there.

First thing I reached for was the magic eraser and still no luck. Thinking about trying maybe Ajax w/ bleach or something similar? These stains (really more of a raised burn) aren't coming out I'm predicting. Figure if I could just lighten them up a bit...maybe I could live w/ it

my girlfriend used a sharpie pen to write the childrens names on some ziplock back for their sandwhiches.

well it bleed all over the seat. i used the magic eraser and then just let it sit in the sun. you can't even see it now.

i would not use anything that contains bleach. it will eat away at the stitching.