Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default First 10 Hours: One problem after another…

I recently took delivery of a 2007 Mobius LSV equipped with the 325hp 5.7L, V8, EFI. It now sits on the lift with 10 hours on it. My best guess on spray date is mid to late April. I am very pleased with the design of the boat and the materials used but as it relates to construction/assembly, I have concerns.

To be fair to the dealer, they have been responsive to my issues. I will have the boat serviced this week and I expect they will address the issues I discuss below. Nevertheless, I now ask myself whether we are working out the kinks or is this the tip of the iceberg?

I am not posting to vent (though this is somewhat cathartic), I am trying to solicit feedback from other new owners to understand whether my experience is unique or more systemic. If any one has similar stories / suggestions / solutions, please share them.

Here is a log of my first 10 hours:

<1 Hour: During demo with the dealer, boat was filling with water. A filter in one of the ballast pumps was not properly installed therefore; the casing would not screw in all the way thus creating the leak. Fixed on site by the dealer rep. I consider it a minor issue and at the time, isolated.

@3 Hours: After a running fine for an hour and a brief stop on the water, engine started but ran very rough. It would die once a load was placed on the engine (engaging v-drive or accelerating with v-drive disengaged). After about 10 minutes of trouble shooting, would not start at all. More troubleshooting and 10-15 minutes later, would start but with rough idle and would die if load placed on the engine. 20 minutes later, started just fine and have not had a problem since. Both dealer and I were stumped and assumed it was an isolated issue until another new Mobius LSV with approximately 10 hours on it was stricken with the same problem at the marina where my boat is stored. Quite a site on Memorial weekend, two new LSV’s both lifeless (mine now with other issues, see 9 Hours below) and within 50 feet of each other.

4-6 Hours: Ignition switch falls out, never tightened down on the back behind dash. I hand tightened on site. Again, minor and assumed isolated. Turned on heater with dealer rep in boat but fan did not run. Dealer rep troubleshot on site but no quick fix. Dealer will address when I bring boat in for its first service. Again, minor, and isolated.

8 hours: First evening navigation. Turned on rear light bar. Factory package Roswell light bar. Would stay lit for 3-5 minutes, then kick off. After 2-3 minutes, I could reset and turn back on. After another 3-5 minutes, off again. Added to my warranty work list.

9 Hours: Operating normally then suddenly began to take on water. A lot and fast. Bilge light is on but not pumping any water. Quickly disconnect outtake on ballast bags and use ballast pumps to empty boat. Bilge light still on but not operating. Began looking for source of water and found a hose that was a part of the fresh water cooling system disconnected. All the water either cooling or meant to cool the engine was now in the boat. It all happened so fast the engine never overheated. Now the bilge. Disassembled and found a white piece of plastic/debris wedged in the rotating piece of the pump. Water sensor works but appears motor is cooked. I do not know when the bilge picked up this debris but when the boat was swamped a lot of debris filled the hull. Most of it was small crispy flakes, like chipped paint (or fiberglass). This debris is now everywhere. Once I get the water out of the hull, it needs a good vacuuming.

That’s my story. To be fair to Moomba, I am a new boat owner. I don’t know if I am breaking the boat in or if the boat is breaking me in. I have tried to objectively evaluate my actions around each event to understand how I may have contributed to the problem. I am open to any constructive criticism. Each event, some very minor and some more serious, appears manageable in isolation. You start stringing these events together however, and the frustration and fear of taking this boat on the water begin to build.

Well it seems SC is having some problems with some of there craft. I personally am going through the same thing with my boat. It runs great in short distances, but when you make a long distance run the problem never fails to exist. It starts with rough idle, put a load on it and it dies, then from there it down hill. Wont start or if it does its back to rough idle and any load dies again...When you buy a boat and this happens to you as it did me the very first time you put it in water, it just throws up a very bad feeling. I spend a lot of time on Dale Hollow lake, TN and if you have visited there you can see there is a lot of space from marina to marina. And I have been towed several times due to this. But when they apply there computer, It shows no sign of anything being wrong. This happened to me again this past weekend in Dale Hollow again. My dealer is a wonderful guy and very awesome with his service so he is working to solve the problem as we speak.......

What we need to find out is, if there are more cases like these..And if so what they are doing to solve the problem. That way we can all be on our happy little ways back to the water and not the dry docks " service bays" having the time of our lives in the boats we love to use.....

I have found a quick fix to this ....It has helped me a few times instead of waiting for a hour or so before the boat runs again. helps when you are stranded at night or in a cove where no one else is around to tow you....

1. remove the engine cover
    2. find fuel rail.. there should be a shrader valve there to release fuel line pressure.
    3. release valve numerous times (with a towel under so fuel does not leak all over engine) its messy and smelly...
    4. you may have to repeat it a few times
    5. next thing you are up and running like nothing ever happened

6. Although it's embarrising when this happens at a marina and everyones looking at what you are doing.....

But other then that problem I love my boat....And know they will do whatever it takes to solve the problem
    If you buy a moomba not only do you get great quality at a great price, but have lots of $ left over for the beer and gas!!!!

I am shocked...I just hope I don´t have those problems since I don´t have an official service here..not Moomba nor Indmar..my only service will be to get the boat to anyone and if there is a problem I will have to pay it and dealer will refund me the payment...but since I haven´t had a good experience with this official spanish dealer and seeing all the problems you are having, I think that maybe, and after waiting for almost 9 months for my beloved Outback V ,(still waiting..yes,2008 model will be out just 2 months later,in august i think) maybe it is better I sell it still new and wrapped.. I hate to moan...but it has been a TOTAL PAIN.
    The only good thing was the Skiers Choice crew, the attention I had from them, thanks Dan and Callie...but I think I can´t wait for so long and then realize I can have the same problems as this guy "mtm_lsv" and don´t have even the support from an official repairing professional service...I am scared...and even more reading these posts...there are a few..but with a Moomba´s service dealer close, would be safer...still not sure what to do...How many of you have had so many problems...do you think it is safe to run a boat without an official repairing service close?

I dont think by any means you should sell your boat. They are GREAT boats...But it is like buying a car you will have a "BAD" apple. It is always going to happen know matter if it is a Supra, Moomba, Malibu, Master Craft.. It will happen... But if you read the board I dont see this happening, Except for the the person who posted this thread and myself..

So enjoy your your Moomba, Dont worry about it, we have those rare bad apples and they will resolve the issues to solve future occurences from happening....
    If you buy a moomba not only do you get great quality at a great price, but have lots of $ left over for the beer and gas!!!!

Thanks to SHANE1300 for the troubleshooting procedure on the rough idle issue. Though I am not familiar with everything you outlined, I know my dealer rep will help fill in the blanks. BTW, what model do you have and do you have an approximate spray date?

Maybe you are right Shane..I try to stay calm, but when I read things like this I do have concerns..mostly because of the distance from the US in case of problems..but I am sure that SC will support me if I need...
    This long waiting is killing me...

Hey Shane..BEAUTIFUL boat by the way..way slightly large pic maybe..I can´t read the posts

ya i am going to shrink it as we speak it is awful large

mtm,
    That's a nightmare 1st ten hours! It's all fixable and I sympathize with you going through all that crap. Sounds like your dealer is a good guy and will eventually make it right. However, if I'm Skier's Choice and I'm supposed to be lake-testing every boat before it leaves the factory, I want someones ass on this one. This is the kind of stuff that even a very rudimentary lake test would pick up. What's up at the factory? Hope they're not getting sloppy.

It is a bit shocking. I have 75 hours on my Outback and haven't had a single problem. There is a lot less to go wrong on mine, however. I went without the heater, shower, or any ballast. These seem to be the things that give my friends issues. they seem to be the weakest link on a lot of boats. The engine problem is troublesome. Sounds like a vapor lock, but they're fuel injected. What kind of fuel are you using? Is it from the marina or from town?

Hope the issues get rectified quickly. Summer time is for carefree boating!!!

Dave