Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Try RANKIN COVERS SITE Thay built my cover for towing and it has to be one of the nicest covers built. Great people to work with and large selection of color. Thay have all the factory specs on your boat. NO STRAPS !! Easy on-off.....Have a great weekend all!!....David
    08 LSV, Z-5 CARGO, TANDOM AXLE CUSTOM WHEELS TRAILER.....HOME LAKE IS BILLY CHINOOK CENTRAL OREGON

So I won't be trailering with the logo cover anymore. Does anyone know why Moomba sells you a $500 cover and you can't even use it to trailer your boat(and doesn't tell you that upfront)?
    When I bought mine I was advised by my dealer that it was a storage cover and not designed for towing.

I'm checking with Rankin to see how they get around the single point of failure on their covers with using the cinch strap. They must have more than one cinch strap as a failure of a single line either breaking or coming loose on a highway could be catastophic for traffic behind the boat. I use my nose straps which don't touch the hull only for securing the cover to the boat as I only have one cinch strap even though the cover is cinched and tied to the rear tie-down loops on the boat. I guess the cover could flip over and be 22' behind the boat and no one should be that close but you may need to convince a judge and jury of that if someone gets injured.

Just curious,

What "weather" do you have a problem with ? It's summer, so I'm assuming rain...and it is a boat... it is deisned to get completly wet.

What am I missing here. I live in Florida - it rains at least 40% of the time I come home while towing the boat. Those days I just leave it out, and the FL sun drys it by noon the next day. All good.

If it is packed correctly, nothing will fly out. (barring one center cushion)

How common is this towing with the cover on? I have only seen it once in all my years.

-Joe

I never trailer with the cover on most roads but some of the best camping and boating places here are accessed by gravel and sometimes single lane dirt roads so a cover keeps the dust out of the boat. When it rains here, there is grime that is kicked up and coats the boat. But I see a lot of tow boats being pulled with covers on in perfect weather.

Sled491 Guest

Default travel with cover

With my old boat I had a custom cover made and never traveled without it. I live in Wisconsin and I just don't like all that road grime and dust in and on my boat. I have the Moomba storage cover which is fine for on the lift, but plan to have a new 2 pc custom jobbie built for traveling

joe teckie,
    question for you

"If it is packed correctly, nothing will fly out. (barring one center cushion)"

is this the seat over the v drive?

at above 60mph mine will start to "float"- i can see it in my rear-view
    mirror, at above 65 it will be about 6" off the floor. kinda scarry.
    i try to remember to take it out of the boat and put in the rear side
    storage for those blast's down the freeway

was just curious as you have the bigger lsv model.

thanks
    stacy

Default trailering with cover

My body guy, who is very knowledgeable, says never trailer with strap on cover. Gell coat burn is inevitable.

As far as when would you want to. I used to do it all the time.

It keeps curious people out when you stop and leave te boat unattended for a while. Although I have never had an issue with the cover off to indicate this would be a problem.

It ceratinly cuts down on the dust and road grime.

If you are trailering long distances it can keep the boat dry during a rain shower, so when you get to your destination when it is not raining - you have a dry boat.

If you neglect to pull your plug and your bilge fails - happened to me more than once - it can keep your boat from filling up in heavy rain.

If you want to keep your inflatables inflated (not me, I am a skier) during trasnport this can work as a nice retention method.

When I trailered a lot I would end up parking it under trees late at night when I arrived at the destination and the bugs would be terrible. It keeps leaves, tree pollen, and dew out the boat without having to get out and cover in the dark and the bugs.

Having said all that, I never trailer with my cover on anymore. Don't want to risk it. I think the snap on covers would probably be good, but I hate having the snaps all over the boat when not covered.

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Stacy,

No in the new LSV it is the tiny cushion behind the driver. I have heard of the opposing seat also being a touch lose - that is the one over the cooler in the '06. You can make that one wedge tighter, but the one behind the driver is open on one side to the wind.

The seat over the v-drive is a huge bench staium seat ... if that moves - you are towing on the Autobahn !

-Joe

It looks like Rankin has a good cover with a back up to the cinch rope. Rankin emailed me with this:

From Rankin:

Our covers are made for towing! Not only do we have a cinch rope line that goes around the cover, but there are 8 hooks around the perimeter of the boat that hook themselves under the rubrail ( they are reinforced so as not to hurt your gel coat.) and 5 back straps that attatch to your grabrails or lift eyes. Even if the cinch breaks the straps on the back will hold your cover down so it does not fly up. There are also zippered boots with a bungee around the top. Unless the zippers break these secure boots also aid in keeping your cover on and tight. We have heard of no problems with the rope lines breaking but we do take that into consideration.