Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boat Cover & Mirror

We always prefer to trailer our 07 Outback with the cover on just in case of the weather and to potentially keep stuff flying out of the boat. But, after towing it with the cover on a few times, we realized the tie-downs were rubbing on the side of the boat and creating some marks on the gelcoat. Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening(besides not having the cover on)? Does anyone tow with the cover on with only the white rope tied to the back?

Also, we received our mirror with the boat and it doesn’t fit over the windshield. The mirror mount is only ¾” wide (w/ the plastic protection piece over the knob to prevent the windshield from scratching) and the windshield is 1” thick. I know a fix would be to buy the tower mount but that isn’t in the budget right now. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions or ideas? My dealer was even a little confused especially when their showroom boat had the same problem.

you are not suppose to trailer with the factory covers.

i did once, and used foam pipe insulation around the straps and that seemed to work great.

Quote Originally Posted by qb12
    you are not suppose to trailer with the factory covers.
    Yes, you are not supposed to tow with the factory covers on.
    With that in mind, you will want something between the staps and the gelcoat to absorb the friction. Well, not so much the friction, but the heat from the friction, that softens the gelcoat so the straps can actually damage it as they continue to rub.

Cotton is better than rayons/nylons.

We use socks between the rear tie downs and the stern.

Default Re: Boat Cover & Mirror

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmccarry

Also, we received our mirror with the boat and it doesn’t fit over the windshield. The mirror mount is only ¾” wide (w/ the plastic protection piece over the knob to prevent the windshield from scratching) and the windshield is 1” thick. I know a fix would be to buy the tower mount but that isn’t in the budget right now. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions or ideas? My dealer was even a little confused especially when their showroom boat had the same problem.

I had the same problem with my windshield mount mirror. The dealer told me that the 07s have a thicker windshield than the 06 hence the problem. I just took off the flat black piece and tightened the knob into the windshield.

At least untill I can afford a tower mount mirror.
    Contrary to popular belief, a boat does not run on "Thank Yous"

Take a belt sander to the BACK of the plastic insert and shave off 1/4".

-J

1. Trouble ahead if you keep trailering with a cover that's not designed for it.

2. I tossed the black plastic spacers and got it to fit well over the windshield frame. Had to muscle it a little to get into place but hasn't moved since.

Quote Originally Posted by carsondoc
    1. Trouble ahead if you keep trailering with a cover that's not designed for it.

2. I tossed the black plastic spacers and got it to fit well over the windshield frame. Had to muscle it a little to get into place but hasn't moved since.
    Without the black plastic spacer, it left a nasty round marr on the back of the windshield frame. I sold the mirror to a buddy and put my Monster Tower mirror on.

So I won't be trailering with the logo cover anymore. Does anyone know why Moomba sells you a $500 cover and you can't even use it to trailer your boat(and doesn't tell you that upfront)?

Does anyone trailer their boat with a separate cover then? If so, where did you get yours? Thanks for the replies so far.

I got a custom cover made for $400 that I could use to trailer with but I usually don't. The cover tightens down around the gunwale and there are tie downs on it and the front straps I wound tie down as they don't touch the boat and it would guarentee it wouldn't come off. From the tower to the aft end, I won't use the straps as they would rub against the boat also. The cover isn't as pretty as the stock cover but it is much thicker (it doesn't flap in the wind) and is expected to last twice as long as the stock cover that I replaced.

I have the cover with the snaps all around it. It does not seems to rub on anything. When I get to the Lake, I take it off and when I get home, I put it back on. I need the carpet to dry off first. My Moomba Dealership told me that it is OK to tow with this cover on. It is a two piece cover. The bow cover and the cockpit cover.
    Tazz