Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screw Loose

Default Screw Loose

Everytime I go out on the water, I come back with a bolt missing from my tower. This is the third bolt in the last Month. Has anyone had the same problem with their boat?

Default Re: Screw Loose

Quote Originally Posted by tazz3069
    Everytime I go out on the water, I come back with a bolt missing from my tower. This is the third bolt in the last Month. Has anyone had the same problem with their boat?
    I haven't lost one yet but on my third trip out I noticed one of the bolts above the driver seat on the tower was about to fall out.....I tightened all the bolts and so far so good

I think just a regular check before you go out should do the trick....keep an alan handy
    Contrary to popular belief, a boat does not run on "Thank Yous"

if you don't have to lower your tower use thread lock.

i did last year and have yet to have one come lose.

I always tighten tower mounting thru hull bolts at the beginning and middle of the season, same with racks, speakers, mirror and all tower pivot or joint fastners.

Yep, same here...almost lost one last month. The thinner towers suck imho...too much flex. I check mine every other trip or so. No solution other than loc-tite or dilligence.

Thanks for the info. I am going to buy a few to keep in the boat, just in case. Lock tight is also a great idea. I was just wondering why when they assemble the boat, they don't use lock tight. Still love the boat. I am in the process of installing my new speaker and light system.
    Mark

tazz, i think when the boats are shipped they are done so without the tower. it is the dealer who does the install???

i thought you guys were referring to the bolts that go in the tower uprights, not where it attaches to the top of the deck.

QB,
    It is the big Allen Screw that connects the pole base to the upright. I noticed it gone when I started my stereo install. Skiers Choice told me that it woulb be cheaper to find the Allen Bolt at a hardware store for a few dollars. If I can not find it, I need to pay for the shipping, which is 3 times the amount of the bolt.
    Mark

In Vegas, you should be able to find a bolt and fastener store that can match the bolt and I beleive they are Stainless Steel. I almost memorized my hardware parts selection and you would be hard pressed to find a allen head bolt that size in SS.

There you go Tazz. I think Ed owes you a buck but then it takes away from the "Send Ed Down Under" fund.