Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Michigan trying to ban wakeboats

Michigan house bill 5532 was introduced this week, basically restricting a 500 foot clearance to any anchored, docked or moored boat or swimming area. Also a minimum 20 foot depth while creating a boat induced wake.

No idea if this will pass.

https://www.legislature.mi.gov/docum...4-HIB-5532.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I had mentioned this a couple years ago, but here in WI a lake on the Minocqua Chain has a ordinance on wake size which eliminated wakesurfing on that lake (Mid Lake in Woodruff).

With all the folks who think they need 4000 lbs of water, plus 500 lbs of lead and a 5’ tall wave just to surf are the problem- it’s turned into just trying to make the biggest wave, not what’s actually needed to surf. Reminds me of the snowmobiles who put loud cans on their sleds..causes trail closures because they think their sled sounds cool. In general wakesurfers can be worse than jet skiers…

I expect states, lakes..etc will start making it illegal to surf …it’s coming.
    2021 Moomba Max

Nothing worse than a arctic cat triple without a can.

Talking late 90's to mid 2000's.

Asshats would pull out there ear plugs at the gas station.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

In TN, we had the 200 foot rule pass back in 2022. 500' would be pretty limiting for our lakes and rivers in TN.

That was the final rule, I would bet the law started off worse - usually the WSIA lobby helps out on items like this.

https://wsia.net

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MJHSupra; 03-02-2024 at 07:37 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400

500feet will pretty much kill 75% of the 13k inland lakes in Michigan.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

2018 Supra SL400

This sucks.

There are so many other rules people don't follow on the lake that do more damage and even cause fatalities, but they are targeting wake boats.

However, it only takes 1% to screw it up for the other 99%. So bad boaters causes these laws.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    This sucks.

There are so many other rules people don't follow on the lake that do more damage and even cause fatalities, but they are targeting wake boats.

However, it only takes 1% to screw it up for the other 99%. So bad boaters causes these laws.
    100% on your last sentence. Couple big waves with what was said about the snowmobiling's loud exhaust, except in our case a stereo that can be heard half a mile away blasting every 50 cent cuss word there is, and all the families on the docks, beaches, and pontoons begin to hate all wakeboats in general. All they see are obnoxious people they don't want around their families. And that is not the majority, but they are what create the label for all. Can my boat play loud music and make a big wave? Yes it can. But, I know when and where and how to be respectful around areas where people who don't enjoy that.
    I'm also an 80's kinda music fan too when it is loud. Not so much a fan of the hard core foul mouthed music.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HFarr; 03-03-2024 at 09:26 AM.
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Those environmental groups have power. They get a lot of $ donations and rich backers.

2018 Supra SL400

hfarr's whole post hit the nail on the head..... the wakeboat communities push for bigger and louder speakers on the towers. my gut is they are going after the wakes as it's easier than trying to go after the noise.

it used to be the 1% but now every family has a boat loaded down with kids and it's swapped from 2livecrew to swift and both can be equally offensive to someone who doesn't want to be around it.
    you hear a lot of cars playing loud music but they disappear at the next light. that wakeboat full of saturday families just keeps circling and circling....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten