Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power turns

Default power turns

question for all of you. what do you do or say when you see someone doing power turns to pick up a downed rider?

reason asking is it seems more and more people are buying wakeboard boats, either true inboards or io's with towers and the problems seem to be getting worse.

yesterday i bet i had 3-5 people in one cove doing power turns and basically destroying all the good water. heck one of them who just bought a used supra was even going around his rider on the port side which is just dangerous!!!

I don't do it, however, early in the season when the water temp is still a bit chilly I tend to 'hustle back' to get the rider. Although I would not call that a power turn as I cut throttle before making the turn, then go a fuzz faster than idle to get back to the downed skier
    Hope this helps
    B

I will do a sharp turn if there are obstructions in the way (boats or land) or if I consider the downed skier to be at risk where I need to get back to the skier as quickly as possible. I usually stay away from those situations as much as possible but there are a few idiots who follow too close. The wave created in a turn still messes up the water whether it is a gradual turn or sharp turn granted the size of the outside wake will be much larger in a sharp turn. I try not to turn sharp as it messes up anything not attached like people and beers.

That is how it was when I grew up skiing... EVERYONE did a powerturn... Now, I think most still do that cuz that's what Dad did... Watching the BOOK DVD, they do a good job of teaching how to turn around to pick up downed rider.. I don't think too MANY boaters know much about rules and etiquette... at least around me..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I completely agree with 04. Until I started checking out etiquette articles on wakeboarding sites, I was guilty of doing what my dad did back on a sparsley populated lake. Different story nowadays in more congested lakes.

It would be nice to get all the boat owners that do any kind of activities to adopt some basic guidelines. It would make everyones day much more pleasant.

Oh and btw, why do tubers, that are doing nothing but creating cirucular rollers to mindlessly give their kids concussions, why do they need to be in a cove. All the waves readily available on the main lakes should make their objective that much easier to achieve.

-- Sorry for the last just my ever-growing pet-peeve.
    -Jay
    2008 Supra 21V

Quote Originally Posted by cptmoomba

Oh and btw, why do tubers, that are doing nothing but creating cirucular rollers to mindlessly give their kids concussions, why do they need to be in a cove. All the waves readily available on the main lakes should make their objective that much easier to achieve.

-- Sorry for the last just my ever-growing pet-peeve.
    I know why, beacause all the really good "concusion" waves are made by the wakeboarders that hide in the coves! The family I/O simply can not create the proper effect on their own! So they follow us and wait for that perfect Double Up to sling the younguns through!!

I am completely with you on this one. They should go out to the "open" choppy water and scramble their childs brain out their instead.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

TRU DAT on TUBERS! It's nothing but S CURVES and Donuts here!
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I am a I/O x owner and have always wanted A great tour boat ride but The snobb effect that follows with this is relavant. Just read the last post! I believe we are a better group having purchashed useing our brains and not our wallets and we have a great boat for the $. OK Off the pedistal, What I have found is when the skier/boarded drops line you drop thottle and do a slow turn and motor up to the person, If in a bad situation you do what is nessesary to protect the person in the water from harm but the bottom line is the capton of the boat picks the safe spot to pull a person................ we should always think 2- minutes ahead and please pull your keys when just playing in the water..David
    08 LSV, Z-5 CARGO, TANDOM AXLE CUSTOM WHEELS TRAILER.....HOME LAKE IS BILLY CHINOOK CENTRAL OREGON

The only way I have found to deal with the power turning, tubing, and just bad drivers is to get out early. The only people that seem to be at the lake at sunrise are the people that know how to drive.

TRUE DAT on EARLY!!!!

B