Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default boat market 2024

anybody else got any predictions?

onlyinboards is at the highest level I have seen at over 5700 boats with 55% being 2023-2024 models and 15% 2021-2022 models. that's 70% of the OI market in a 4 year span that encompass the crazy rise of wakeboat pricing.

skiers announces best deals on new boats in a decade with discounts and covered service before boat show season even kicks off.

'bu quarterly report end of september shows(and I bet next quarter ending end of dec is even worse):
    15% decrease in sales and 25% decrease in units sold.
    they are forecasting net sales decline percentage "in the high teens to low twenties year-over-year for 2024"

mastercraft sales down last quarter almost 40% and overall profits after expenses down 66%.

there's currently a couple 2020 atx22's and kaiyens with +/-100hrs for sale for less than we were quoted new which likely hasn't happened since 2020.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default boat market 2024

I assume smaller margins for dealers doing boat show season. Probably tossing in a few more perks. It will be cut-throat dealer vs dealer on the different brands.

Supra is probably in a good position b/c of the limited number of units when compared to MC or BU. Private vs Public company thing too.

Slower, but not a dead market. There are still buyers out there, but the new boat buyer every-year or every-other-year crowd is having a hard time deciding to take those big payments now vs something 1 - 2 years ago of cheaper $$.

Used market takes a hit and is a lot more competitive. Back to more normal markets when compared to the Covid era.

Laugh when I still read about peeps talking about ‘crashing boat markets’ on social media. But peeps do not talk about it much anymore b/c it’s winter.

Should be interesting to see what happens to interest rates due to 2024 being an election year.

Rising build costs and prices SUCK b/c now we are stuck with them.

Our local dealer in TN still has 23s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MJHSupra; 12-19-2023 at 05:05 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400

The market is going to suck until interest rates drop significantly. Inflationary damage is done and no discounts will truly offset it.

Inflation has slowed, but the two massive inflationary years of 21 and 22 are permanent damage and we will never get back to previous pricing.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

BU and MC are pretty strong companies from a balance sheet perspective. Cash, low debt, and they reinvest back into the company. They can ride these ‘blips’ out.

I used to follow them more often. Not a buyer of the stocks b/c there are better opportunities out there.

2018 Supra SL400

My guess is it will come down to how many people are forced to sell. I don't know how much money the average person puts down as a down payment, but my guess it is not much. I think the issue is not the rates, but the lack of "equity" ppl have in the boat at lower values. How many ppl can take a 10, 15, 20k hit between their loan balance, so the better option is to keep making payments.

It will be the people that are forced to sell or no longer can afford to make the 1k+ monthly payments when the market starts going down. But who knows that is just my thought.

I would think the dealerships will reduce prices first and then the used market will follow which obviously we are already are starting to see.

It would be great if there was not a market crash and nobody lost their boat, but has the market ever gone up and up and never come down?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    - Jason
    2019 Moomba Max

That last part reminds me of some lyrics in "Spinning Wheels" by Blood Sweat and Tears for some reason.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Even with a typical Supra 20% discount, this is still $200k

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    Our local dealer in TN still has 23s.
    OI shows over 2000 boats for sale from 2023 with 0-5hrs. Wonder how that would compare with pre covid years when the market was "normal".

cash buyers and people with large sums of disposable will continue to buy new but my gut is as larry calls out, interest rates remain over 5-6% it'll sideline most financed people looking to upgrade especially those pre-2021.

a mojo owner from 2019 might have a $500 note. that supra larry posted even with 25% down on a 6% note is $1300(20 yrs). that's a pretty healthy jump.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I am by no means wealthy, but who would pay cash for a big purchase of a toy, say $200k?

When interest rates were sub 4%, I would rather keep my 200k working making 8-12%.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    OI shows over 2000 boats for sale from 2023 with 0-5hrs. Wonder how that would compare with pre covid years when the market was "normal".
    Good point. I wonder too. OI is a good source for that kind of data.

In Knoxville from when I bought my first 2007 Supra to now, there are a heck of a lot more wake boats on the lake.

2018 Supra SL400