Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Hi all, happy holidays! Got back to the cottage with the items I was missing. Job was going super well, got the shaft nut out np, inserted a socket as a spacer, and threaded on my new linger bolts easily. Started tightening evenly as my son turned the prop so I could tighten a little, one at a time.

Was going super well but as it got tighter, I was using all my strength to tighten and I ended up misthreading 3 of the nuts as a result! Couldn’t get them off so had to carefully saw them off with my oscillating tool. 100$ worth of blades later and a lot of sweat, I am back to this step of getting the coupler off.

I’m wondering what I did wrong? [mention]Holdmybeer [/mention], could the socket I used as a spacer have been too wide? Does it need to rest on the tip of the shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 Moomba Outback V
    Black and red
    2006 Orange Moomba Outback

Not sure if the socket is the best option.
    I tried that with mine and I couldn't get it to "pop" free. This is when I built my tool.

You need to be able to push against the shaft and pull the coupler at the same time.

The bolts didn't cross they bind up unless you use fine thread and grease on the threads.
    If you are going to try again, put the drive end on the socket against the shaft and then go diagonal back and forth tightening the longer bolts.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Man! That falls right into place on a comment I made on another post about a ballast tank replacement. Something always seems to go wrong and make a simple job take 3. Times as long! And usually, it is a broken or stipped screw or bolt!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

That’s exactly what I did and it finally popped off! My initial spacer/socket wasn’t pushing against the shaft and I was just tightening against the coupler. Idiot! But I paid for my mistake and now I’m back on track.

Took the win, Did a big cleanup of the bilge, shaft and coupler, and next I will install the glide seal. For now, sauna and a beer!

Thanks for the reply. I would have never attempted this without this forum and your advice and now the hard parts are done! I’m just happy my oscillator fit in there enough to cut those bolts out. Phew…

2011 Moomba Outback V
    Black and red

Drink two beers (at least) and its not so bad when something like that happens without a deadline looming! Glad you got it!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Glad you got it!

Now it is the home stretch. Only pain now is the key-way key during assembly.
    Get everything clean, install the Glide seal, and bolt it all back together.

My oscillating tools have saved me a few times. Take a drink, get warm and relax. Always tomorrow to finish it. Like HFarr said, no deadlines on boats in the winter.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

2 beers and 2 manhattans actually. Hit the spot. Re key way, figured installing with it on the bottom is easiest?

Intend on finishing the job tomorrow. Keep you posted.

2011 Moomba Outback V
    Black and red

Done! Everything went back on easily. Only snag is where I marked where the coupler was on the shaft got erased but it seems it’s a foolproof system since where it stops is basically where it needs to, just at the end of the key-way and with the shaft end just near the end of the coupler, without protruding.

Was not an easy task but would have been unthinkable without this community and [mention]Holdmybeer [/mention] specifically! Glad I did it and it’s one more thing I now understand about my boat.

And No more dead battery due to auto bilge pump!

Bought a fake-a-lake ages ago and never used it so will use to test in the spring before putting in the water.

Now I need to find someone to fix my prop since I noticed a few nicks and a little bend in one of the wings…

Wishing everyone a great new year with lots of fun on the water!
    2011 Moomba Outback V
    Black and red

You are more than welcome.
    This is what good forums are for.

Let us know how things go in the spring! Happy new year!
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow