Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2018 SE450 Cracked front ballast

Sooo our front ballast tank is cracked. Has anyone dealt with this? Do we need to remove the gas tank in order to slide the ballast tank out? Can we use a bag instead of a hard tank for replacement? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not doubting you, but are you sure the tank is cracked and it's not a fitting or hose that is leaking? Most of the time fittings are the culprit.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Front ballast tank (not bow) requires the fuel tank to be removed to access it.

A tank crack is rare but possible. Again, i believe you but it is vert hard to see through the access holes. I would check lines and fittings first. Buy a bore scope camera from Amazon for $20-30 and use it to find the leak first. Still might need to pull things out of the way to fix a fitting but at least you will know exactly what to fix.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Thanks for the replies. We did stick a camera through the fill holes and there is a crack in the bottom center of the tank unfortunately. Going to call skiers choice and see what they say. I’m sure this won’t be cheap.

Depending on your ability, the fuel tank removes easily and the ballast tank slide to the rear and out the same floor panel. The tank can be repaired. I am sure you could find the tank from a manufacture and avoid SC markup. Just a thought because my guess is $1200 for the tank and fittings, $1600 for labor. Not going to be cheap at all.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Any clue who makes these tanks? I tried googling and couldn’t get anywhere.

If you can find a part number sticker anywhere on the tank you can cross it. Great Lakes Skipper carries some SC parts like this.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Perfect thank you!

Biggest pita would be draining the gas tank enough to remove it.

Other than that it's not awful. Sounds like you already have the center floor pulled.

There used to be companies who could internally line a cracked gas tank, might be an option for you.

You absolutely could get a custom bag made. Most boats are using sub floor bags now.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Yea all viable options. We are going to pull the gas tank and then the ballast and see if it’s repairable if not a new tank from skiers choice is $800. I’ll keep you guys posted how it turns out just in case it happens to one of you too.