Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Surf Tab Settings

So, I'm still struggling with my surf settings on my 2021 Max. I have read through Matt's 50 page thread (for the second time) and read through all the other threads regarding the Autowake surf settings trying to get some insight, and it has helped a lot, but I am still unclear about a few things.

First off, I see that the "factory defaults" for the surf tabs are supposed to be 70% for the port plate and 60% for the starboard plate. However, I can't seem to find any settings for this in the menus. Am I missing something? Am I supposed to adjust them manually? Can that be done with Autowake on? I guess the same goes for the trim tab... that the "default" is 25%, but I don't see any setting for that in the menus.

Also, I though I saw in some of the posts that the default pitch is 9 degrees, but when I go to my menus, it lists 8 degrees as the factory default. The 3 degree regular and 5 degree goofy seems to match what I have read, but the pitch seems to be off. Are y'all having better luck with 8 degrees or 9 degrees?

I know all of this stuff is a starting point, and that Autowake is a powerful tool to help optimize the wake and such, but I can't ask my wife to tweak the tabs while she is driving to improve the wake. I need to have everything set where she just points the boat in the right direction. She pretty much hates our Max because it drives like a brick at low speeds. She could drive our Outback like a champ and load it on the trailer in one shot in a heartbeat. She's not just eye candy, either; she can wakeboard, wakesurf, and ski the slalom course. She just hates driving the boat. Which is why after two full summers of owning the boat, I only have around 40 hours on it, which makes me sad!

Thanks for the help.
    Brian Roberts

2021 Max
    2001 Outback DD

On your max you should be able to adjust the tabs by selecting the screen where it shows the boat facing left to right( top middle button on my 19) and then tappong on the tabs that show near the bottom of the screen. It brings up the wake plate and tabs then you just select which side tab you want to adjust. Autowake doesnt work worth a crap in my boat because my entire crew consists of 2 small kids and my wife who is small. Added lead added bigger bags but theres no replacement for displacement. I still have not found my ideal settings and some days it just seems like my goofy wake is garbage. The regular wake seems to be very consistent but I still am not able to hit the 3 degrees roll with my crew and moving lead. Keep playing with it and you will get it.
    2019 Craz
    OJ 950
    Wakemakers bags
    Heatercraft triple heater

How many people are on your boat? If it’s not a decent sized crew then I’m going to suggest you not use Autowake as you won’t be able to hit the target values of the system. Rather fill the boat full with all ballast to get as much displacement of the hull down into the water.

Do you have stock bags or upgrade WakeMakers? That will make a huge difference. Most Max owners typically end up upgrading to the larger WakeMakers bags to help sink the big ole Max down in the water, especially if you aren’t with a big crew. The Max is rated for 17 people and if you don’t have half of those people the you will want WakeMakers bags and maybe some lead. I run WakeMakers and 500 lbs of lead in mine and the wave is pretty dialed in for just two people onboard.

You adjust your surf plates in the menu in the screen. I’m not sure which size screen you have though. I have the smaller one with buttons underneath it that control the settings in each menu. With Autowake you don’t have control of the tabs, that will be determined off what the software thinks you need based on your pitch and roll Autowake settings. Again, I don’t rely on Autowake since I find it not that useful for a light crew boat.

You don’t need Autowake to make a nice and consistent wave on a Max….

2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

I'd work towards 9.5 degrees pitch at 11.2-11.5mph.

I have a 23 Mojo with Flow 3 and am also still learning the boat and settings. Although we have different boats and years I believe the trends will be the same. Like you, I have been reading threads and watching videos to better understand the best setup. After building my own surf system for my Tige with lots of R+D and testing my wife has been less than excited about testing and optimizing the new boat.

Pitch, Like Wake9, I find that anything less than 9 degrees pitch lacks push. Without extra ballast or people we end up dumping most of the front ballast to increase pitch. Right now I have 500lbs of lead evenly spaced in the rear and can keep all the ballast full and get 9.5 degrees pitch with a light crew.

Roll, I find increasing roll will help clean up the wave face but I try to minimize that to keep ballast on board. Adjust this with people or lead if possible. Flow 3 does help minimize the need to add roll.

Tabs, Seems like Wake9 likes the factory Tab settings when weighted down. I find adding any more Tab than required can rob push, so just deploy the tabs to the extent required to get a clean wave face. Changing Roll with Lead / people can help minimize tab deployment. I'm still working towards "my tab setting" but I'm running less than default. The system does increase or decrease your tab setting +/-10 depending on the amplitude setting so be careful to note the actual value it is running while surfing. For example you set it for 60 but with a high amplitude setting in actuality while surfing the tab will be set +10 to 70. This can be mis-leading when folks post values, are they posting the setting or actual value.

Center tab 0-25

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

That all sounds good, thanks for the info!

To answer some of the questions, the other day it was only 2 of us, so we did have that working against us. We also were only using the stock ballast. I do have a pair of the 370# Tube Sacs that I can fill with just a Supa Tsunami Pump, but I didn't have them filled. I bought those two sacs because they fit perfectly under the side seats, and since they will add weight to the middle of the boat, they shouldn't drastically affect the pitch or roll. I do have the 7" touchscreen, and I know how to move the tabs using that, I guess my main question (as I haven't been back to the boat to figure it out) is that if I turn on the surf system, and then set the tab to 60%, and then engage Autowake, will the tab stay at 60%? Also, next time I turn on the surf system, will it return the tab back to the 60% setting? Again, I can do lots of fiddling when I am driving for my buddies, but I need it to be simple for when I am surfing and whoever is driving isn't as familiar with the the adjustments.

I have watched RagBoy's videos and was trying those settings out, but we just didn't have enough weight in the boat. I was kind of surprised that he recommended the regular side at only 1 degree of roll, where the factory setting is around 3. I guess also with the Flow3 system adding yaw to the boat does help quite a bit.

I know that the Max is a BIG boat, but it kind of sucks having to add even more ballast, 4000# is A LOT of weight. I was hoping to be done with extra Fat Sacs. We would run about 2000# in my old Outback when we surfed... the rear rubrail was literally underwater sometimes, and turning that boat around and driving back through that wake was pretty scary. We have taken waves OVER the windshield in that boat.
    Brian Roberts

2021 Max
    2001 Outback DD

You simply swap out the stock bags. It’s not adding additional bags in your way.
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Regarding if autowake is on or off the tab setting will be based on the setting when in surf left or right. The actual value will be manipulated off the displacement gauge which I'm guessing will be +10 in most instances. On my boat when actively surfing, I can look at the tab setting page and it's always setting value +10 when we have the Ballast full.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoombaMAX View Post
    it was only 2 of us, so we did have that working against us.
    Think of it like this: Max holds 17 people or the equivalent of 2800lbs (passengers/gear/extra ballast), and 4000lbs stock ballast. If it's just you (driver, no spotter) and you weigh 180lbs, that's 180/2800 = a mere 6% of the potential displacement of the boat.

They have to assume, that some of their customers are going to kit it out with extra ballast or take 17 people on board in order to be certified. If you want a pushy, long wave, You have to MAX out that 2800lbs or find a middle ground you are comfortable with.

9-9.5 pitch, 11-11.4mph, WP 0-15, Flow 2 tabs default.
    2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoombaMAX View Post
    I know that the Max is a BIG boat, but it kind of sucks having to add even more ballast, 4000# is A LOT of weight. I was hoping to be done with extra Fat Sacs. We would run about 2000# in my old Outback when we surfed... the rear rubrail was literally underwater sometimes, and turning that boat around and driving back through that wake was pretty scary. We have taken waves OVER the windshield in that boat.
    I understand how you feel and I had the same mentality when I first got my Max. Adding 2,000lbs to my old moomba outback and the wave was sweet. Remember the Max is pretty much a different beast than the outback.

Like Hayden mentioned if you can close that 2,800lb additional gap the Max really comes alive. 80% of the time I surf with only driver in boat. I have about 5,500 lbs ballast in my boat and surfs fantastic and consistent for me. You won't have that same issue of taking on rollers as you did in your outback even with that much weight.

Once you get it dialed in you will be so much happier with the Max and glad you upgraded. Especially once you get your ballast bags tied to your existing pumps so you don't have to use the hand pumps anymore. I would focus on that.

You have right idea of getting more center weight. Try to get at least 1,000lbs ballast midship each side.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    - Jason
    2019 Moomba Max

Yup as the old saying goes no replacement for displacement and that is what it all comes down to. Either have a decent sized crew or you will want to supplement that intended weight one way or the other. Most people probably don’t have a ton of people onboard so upgrading the stock bags to larger Walemakers bags is the ideal route to go. Adding lead hidden in the compartments with the upgraded bags takes it even further to making a great wave plus ability to fine tune the weight where you want or need it. Most boats will need you to upgrade the bags if you don’t have a decent crew onboard as these boats are intended to sink into the water to make a good, powerful wave.
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold