Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default leaking heater pump causing overheating?

This past weekend we spent the morning boating with no issues. Later when the engine was in neutral and we were filling the ballast I got a ECT Higher Than Expected and my engine temp was over 200. I checked the coolant level and it was fine. I shut it off and did some reading here online. I read where if I got up to speed/rpms up the temp would come down and sure enough it dropped to 165 in a matter of 20 seconds as long as I had the rpms up. When i stopped and was just in neutral the temp would start climbing. I called it a day, come home and put the boat away. I read that the heater pump was a common problem and would leak out coolant. I checked the coolant tank and it was completely empty. I pulled the heater pump off and there is definitely dried purple on the bottom of the pump. So I'm guessing that the leaking heater pump was the cause of the high engine temp? We did have the heater running for several hrs so that all makes sense that the coolant was slowly leaking out but why would the coolant tank be full if that was happening? And then why would the tank be empty after sitting for a few days?

Can I replace the pump with any pump or is this made for coolant and not water? I'm assuming any pump will do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    This past weekend we spent the morning boating with no issues. Later when the engine was in neutral and we were filling the ballast I got a ECT Higher Than Expected and my engine temp was over 200. I checked the coolant level and it was fine. I shut it off and did some reading here online. I read where if I got up to speed/rpms up the temp would come down and sure enough it dropped to 165 in a matter of 20 seconds as long as I had the rpms up. When i stopped and was just in neutral the temp would start climbing. I called it a day, come home and put the boat away. I read that the heater pump was a common problem and would leak out coolant. I checked the coolant tank and it was completely empty. I pulled the heater pump off and there is definitely dried purple on the bottom of the pump. So I'm guessing that the leaking heater pump was the cause of the high engine temp? We did have the heater running for several hrs so that all makes sense that the coolant was slowly leaking out but why would the coolant tank be full if that was happening? And then why would the tank be empty after sitting for a few days?

Can I replace the pump with any pump or is this made for coolant and not water? I'm assuming any pump will do.
    Mine did the same thing...my older Max...I had to take it to Marine Products downtown and they replaced the pump and it worked no problem. The problem is, I don't trust the heater anymore and don't use it much...if at all. I have a new Max and still watch the temp guage if the kids run it.

Fuilds....not really sure, but my guess would be that its circulating all the fluid in the system and not just going into the pump and it quite a bit. Once it all settles and cools down, the amount that was burned off really shows itself and is enough to show the tank empty. Just a thought, I could totally be wrong. The guys at Marine Products did it fast and I felt it was worth the money in case it happened again...it would be on them.
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

This happened to me too.

I did two things

1 - unhooked pump terminals from starter, unhooked hoses from pump and bypassed it by connecting hoses together.

2 - sourced the lower part of the pump on Amazon and replaced it with a new seal.

This fixed my issue for ~$35 and then topped off with coolant.

Also - you’ll have an airpocket in the coolant system so I suggest once you top it off that you bring extra to the lake because your reservoir will likely be empty again as the airpocket works itself out unless you properly replace all coolant as per indmar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHURFLO 94-800-00 Model 4008... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SQ4F4V2...p_mob_ap_share

Just curious. Is it a gasket leaking or is the pump housing cracked?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

OP, you probably know, but if you are having this problem it won’t matter whether or not you use the heater. This pump is always running circulating coolant to the heater unit. You could bypass and disconnect as mentioned above. I did that for one season when I had the problem until replace with new pump at end of season.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

I had the issue. My Supra had a crack. That was two summers ago. Slow leak.
    2018 Supra SL400

Default leaking heater pump causing overheating?

It's a cheap little pump, I am sure an upgrade is out there.

It's just an RV circulation pump.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    It's a cheap little pump, I am sure an upgrade is out there.

It's just an RV circulation pump.

Problem is Heatercraft charges $60 for shipping alone.

My pump works like a charm now. No leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by eder10986 View Post
    SHURFLO 94-800-00 Model 4008... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SQ4F4V2...p_mob_ap_share

Thanks for the link, I knew I had seen a link for this the other day but couldn't find it. I will order and see if this takes care of it. thanks
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190