Thread: 2018 Max

Default 2018 Max

Have a friend with a 2018 Max. He bought it and I set up the wakemakers upgrade, but put the 100's in the midship like I did on my 19'. The wave blows! I have taken out numerous times and it's just a lame wave. Thought power might be the issue, and it might be, but I thought I would ask. I had a 2019 for 3 years and used the upgrade, put 100's in the midship and 500 in the bow. The boat threw a killer wave. I have a 22 Max and it is a similar set up, and it throws a killer wave. I have messing with the Max controls Since 19' and I have tried evrything to get his wave going.

Things I have noticed about his boat are that the boat when full wont go above 9.1 . As I empty it, I can get it to 10.6 . Untill I really get it empty, I can get it to 11. I thought we might be trying to push to much weight, but then I was watching RPM and it was 3200 to 3300. A lot lower than the 3800-4200 on my 19'. Ran the boat with differnent pitches and rolls. today had it at 9 pitch and 10 pitch. Goofy wake plate 0-25, but tried everything else. pitch 8 to 10.5 but tried all types of other things as well. Roll 4-6....also tried tone of other things

Regular same thing...tried all of our normal setting, and it was aweful, the tried other pitches and rolls. Tried everything I had used over the years with my 19' and nothing worth even getting in the water for. I am not trying to say in the least that I am a expert of setting up waves, but I have done this by eye since 19'

Also FYI I changed all the plugs out to see if it was just not firing on all cylinders. I have a fuel filter to chaneg ot, but I wasn't sure if it could be something else before he hauls it back to town to my shop.

Help, or is there someone that wants to buy a 2018
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

What prop is he running? Sounds like he needs a different prop setup. Wave won’t be anything at 9 mph range IMO. You have a different trans gear ratio and prop than his 2019 will have. I run the OJ 945 and no issue pulling heavy ballast at sea level. Only other thing I can think of is his actuators and plates aren’t dropping to what the dash is saying. I’d start with verifying the prop and go from there. It could have the basic standard prop and I don’t think that one has enough bite to pull big weight.
    Last edited by haknslash; 07-25-2023 at 07:19 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    What prop is he running? Sounds like he needs a different prop setup. Wave won’t be anything at 9 mph range IMO. You have a different trans gear ratio and prop than his 2019 will have. I run the OJ 945 and no issue pulling heavy ballast at sea level. Only other thing I can think of is his actuators and plates aren’t dropping to what the dash is saying. I’d start with verifying the prop and go from there. It could have the basic standard prop and I don’t think that one has enough bite to pull big weight.
    Acme 2773 15X13 high altitude prop...we are at 7000ft........Good thought on plates....It does change around, but maybe not to the actual numbers. We can pull it up on trailer and see. Thanks Hak.
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

sorry ....2419 ACME
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

By chance did he order the new WM 1750 lb bags? I know those are relatively new but just going how mine are, I couldn’t imagine my 400 with my prop being able to pull that weight, not without adding a crapload of bow weight to offset.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

1250's ....or the ones you and I were talking about a few weeks back. They are a year and a half old. Not the new ones
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

My thoughts immediately went to what Hak said about the prop and verify the plates are moving full range. When my plates act up every now and then, the wave really suffers.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    My thoughts immediately went to what Hak said about the prop and verify the plates are moving full range. When my plates act up every now and then, the wave really suffers.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    I think you all might be on to something. I asked him to pull his boat out this weekend so we can look at it. I hope it's this simple, sort of getting sick of driving 1 hr to look and mess around with the junk wave. Thanks guys
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO