Default Impeller shredded

So last day of vacation, noticed the temp shoot up to 180 before we left the dock. Found that the impeller had several pieces missing. Luckily I have a spare, and the boat ran with normal temps the rest of the day.

My understanding is that the missing pieces are likely somewhere between the raw water pump and heat exchanger. I’m not really familiar with where I need to inspect the heat exchanger. Would this be removing the short u-shaped tube directly after the impeller pump? Or is the input to the heat exchanger further down the line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by csm View Post
    So last day of vacation, noticed the temp shoot up to 180 before we left the dock. Found that the impeller had several pieces missing. Luckily I have a spare, and the boat ran with normal temps the rest of the day.

My understanding is that the missing pieces are likely somewhere between the raw water pump and heat exchanger. I’m not really familiar with where I need to inspect the heat exchanger. Would this be removing the short u-shaped tube directly after the impeller pump? Or is the input to the heat exchanger further down the line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I would guess the pieces are inconsequential. You could remove the blue wing nut fitting used to drain the heat exchanger for winter and adapt a fitting to back flush with the new impeller out of the water pump? Just an idea. I replace my impeller every 2 or 3 years and have never had a piece missing. FYI I finally purchased an impeller removing tool which makes it so much easier!