Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

New tow hooks on the tower are nice.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy2slow View Post
    I like the paddles for the cruise & plate, is that new for ‘24? .
    I use these ALL the time in my Supra. Makes life easy when switching out riders, people moving around, and making small adjustments to the wave.
    2018 Supra SL400

I do like that moomba is the only brand that names their boats.

Most use letter/number combos only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Drew, curious why the newer moomba models don't design for a 16" prop?

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Better question for @goose

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Drew, curious why the newer moomba models don't design for a 16" prop?

I’ll give my response here but also let Matt (goose) respond as well. To be honest, we might all have differing opinions when it comes to this but I think that just shows that there is always a give and take when it comes to items like this.

I know you’re not supposed to answer a question with a question, but what are you expecting a 16” prop to do for you? The engineering of the hull and stringers, engine, transmission, and prop all have to work together to achieve a certain performance level/expectation. If you look back over the years of course we’ve had many different models geared at the various sports, many different variations of gm engines, different transmissions, all sorts of prop sizes even down to 13”, and more recently to Ford engines with a 1.5:1 and now 1.7:1 ratio and we’ve come up from a 14.5” prop to 15.5” prop. Again, all of these things have to work together to achieve a desired outcome. And then you can also throw in possible issue SL such as prop burn, cavitation, slippage, etc….

In my opinion, our current engine,transmission ratio, and prop size is optimum for today’s boats and what we are trying to achieve. We are seeing great torque and power where it is needed and our fuel economy isn’t half bad either relatively speaking. When I say this I am considering all of the different sports or activities that our boats are used for including surfing, wakeboarding, skiing, tubing, cruising, etc. I’m not sure that re-engineering everything just to go to a 16” prop would give you this same outcome. Just my $0.02.

Since this is about the Tykon maybe I should also add that I’ve spent some time in a heavily weighted Tykon with the 450 engine and standard 15.5x16.5 prop and it performed surprisingly well here at TN elevation. Weight for surfing was standard 4500 lbs full plus 8-10 adults. Wakeboarding was about 3500 lbs and same passenger load.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Since this is about the Tykon maybe I should also add that I’ve spent some time in a heavily weighted Tykon with the 450 engine and standard 15.5x16.5 prop and it performed surprisingly well here at TN elevation. Weight for surfing was standard 4500 lbs full plus 8-10 adults. Wakeboarding was about 3500 lbs and same passenger load.

So how is the Surf wave comparable to the other boats?
    2018 Moomba MOJO
    4100lbs. ENZO's, Center Tank, IBS
    780lbs. Lead Wake
    Raptor 400
    Surf Prop: OJ 945
    2019 Ford F150 FX4
    5.0L V8

In floor cooler?
    2019 Craz
    OJ 950
    Wakemakers bags
    Heatercraft triple heater

It is VERY good. The running surface is similar to other models in the line so you can expect very similar characteristics. This is a big boat and like all big boats, you need weight in it to “sink” it. The standard 4500 lbs of ballast does a great job. Like with all of our boats, however, you should be primarily picking your model based on the size of your passenger load and body of water. Different than some of our competitors, you shouldn’t buy a specific model based on general wake performance. When it comes to the Tykon separating itself from the similar size Makai, you’ll just have to keep any eye out for the rest of the 2024 info. These two boats will go after different types of buyers.